Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to know all fields that have default values

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrugado

Programmer
Dec 10, 2002
US
I have an access database that I have converted the tables to SQL Server. I am now in the process of changing some field types and have noticed that the default value field that was populated in MS access is not Populated in the SQL server Tables/Fields. Does anyone know where to get this information, if it can even be gotten out of the MDB file? It will save me the time of having to look at each and every field in my Access DB for a Default value. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks Nick

I think you are going to have to check every table and every field in the tables to get the info you need but I'm not 100% sure.

cainebean

That's what I was afraid of.... Thanks

I don't have my Access/VBA books handy, but I think there is a way to do this in VBA. You'd have to cycle through the collection of tables, then through the fields of each table, and look to see if the default value property was set or not. This might be a question you'd want to post to the Access Modules forum.

Here is a function you can modify to get what you need - it is a property in the tables/columns collection.

Function catalogTC()
'-- set reference to ADOX library
'- Microsoft ADO Ext. 2.6 for DDL and Security
'-- Microsoft ActiveX data objects 2.6 library also needed for ADO

Dim cg As New ADOX.Catalog
Dim tb As New ADOX.Table
Dim cn As ADODB.Connection
Dim cl As Column
Dim pp As Property

Set cg.ActiveConnection = CurrentProject.Connection

For Each tb In cg.Tables
Debug.Print "table name = "; "-------"; tb.Name; "--------"; tb.Type