Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need new wireless phone, What will work with my setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
MICS 7.0
Norstar T7316e/T7316 phones currently installed. What, if any restrictions, can I buy to go with this? Should be a simple question, but not sure what is compatible with this system.

Thanks

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Yes, try and buy a refurbished one from a local dealer and get a warranty.

Ok, Im not concerned about warranty or quality as long as it works once. Im 99% sure that my first link will work fine as it is a Nortel ATA w/o power supply which I can easily find. Im curious about the second link though if anyone has the time to look at it and tell me yes or no. Thanks again.

"You don't know what you got, till its gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

I don't have a "local vendor being in the middle of nowhere. The company that set it up originally for us 4 years ago doesn't want anything to do with us and there isn't any others close.

I can find a power supply or make on for the first link. But basically you are telling me that the only ATA I can use is a Nortel one? To me it seems that all an ATA does is as it name implies, convert digital signal to analog and vice versa. Why does a "special" Nortel one have to be used. Perhaps I'm missing something but since you can only use the Nortel Handset with it, I guess anything is possible.

You can only use a Nortel ATA on a Nortel system. Just like you can not use an Avaya set on a Nortel system, or a Nortel set on a Cysco System. The brands are proprietary and only communicate with their products. Your proposed setup should work fine if you can get your hands on a Nortel ATA and power supply. The power supply is also specific to Nortel, you can't go to Radio Shack and find one to work.

Thanks for the link. After some stumbling around I came upon the same one and thought more highly of it as well. Ill look into KFD and see as well.

A couple more questions if anyone has the time. After running down and peaking at the setup again. Having a MICS 7.1 KSU with 2 cards, CP150, and the junk for paging, I notice that there isnt really any indicator LEDs or port mappings. I know what port all but two of my phones are on via F*0 but on the 100 block itself there are like 8 unaccounted for ports excluding the 5 main lines and ext Im aware of. Is there any way to figure out if I have any other analog ports other than the Fax line? Do installers usually bunch them together at a certain port or is there a SOP? Im assuming I will have to interface with the KSU somehow to find all of that info....

Hopefully I can explain this enough to get a response. in my quest to find if we have any additional analog lines other than our fax line, Ive come to the realization, hopefully right, that the incoming lines from the Carrier are analog in nature. These lines then travel to our Block segment and are then sent to the Nortel KSU. From there, they require a digital signal to communicate with the KSU. Is the above correct?

The incoming from the Carrier terminates at a small 8 port box that has 4 digits, telephone number Im assuming, written by each terminal. When I call 3 numbers, Im routed to the main greeting for the company. When I call two others I get a fax signal over the phone. According to the phone and programming, we have 5 lines we can use for outgoing/incoming simultaneously. I have found them at ports 201-205 respectively. The block looks like this:

My question is why is every other "port" 3 sets of lines, see 202/204/206, and the others only one pair? Not sure if that makes sense or can be answered easily.

Thanks if so.

Sorry to keep bringing this thread back up. I have purchased an ATA2 to go with an analog phone. I get a dial tone and can call all our extension just fine. Is there a button I have to hit to call out? I tried * and # but to no avail. On our T7316e sets, we hit which Line we want then dial out. We have 5 lines set up on the number pad to the right of the Number Buttons.

Ideas?

Scratch that, I remember reading somewhere "9" was the dial out number and it does work.

Thanks again for all of your guys valuable feedback, not just in this post but the whole Nortel Section.

Ok, I lied a bit when I thought I was done here. If I hook it up to my extension, it functions fine internally and externally when hitting "9". When I hook it up where it needs to be, it works fine internally, but wont dial externally. Ive set the Lines to App Only and made sure it was on line pool A as is my extension. I dont see any restrictions on the line although I know before it was set up to not be able to call out.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help. Got it working again. Is there any button combination on the analog I can use to page? I think we only have one page "zone" set up it that is any help.

Link/Flash and * = Feature for ATA's
So if page zone 1 is Feature 611 then use:
Link/Flash * 611

Maybe you can program a key to do Link * 611 if not 611 at least and then it would be a 2 button combo.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I think it starts on intercom first because when I pick up the phone and hit "Talk", I can then dial any extension and it will work. If I hit 9, then a outside line, I can dial out.

I will try the page and see if it works after I get this Access DB issue done.

Thanks again!

Just a generic Motorola Wireless House phone on a Norstar ATA2 using a line that was programmed for a T7100(I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back