Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need more ethernet connections to our VMS box 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlyon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
Hello,

I just started a Sys Admin position with a Windoze network that includes a VMS server for historical data.

The server is being accessed via a Lantronix ETS16 Ethernet Terminal Server. This device seems to only allow a maximum of eight connections.

I need to setup another one and was hoping that somebody could provide the basic steps required to set this up?

I've decided to get another Lantronix and configure it, while leaving the current working connection intact.

Don't whimp out!!! Stick with it and don't let a machine beat you. Never surrender to a machine. You learn more this way and it impresses to your co-workers.

Lantronix configuration is typically very easy. If you have TSM on the Vax, adding more ports should be a matter of cut and paste in our vmsstartup.com file.

If you're using Wollengong TCP client, I have "some" experience with it but it's been a while.

Let me know if you want my notes.

mjpearson,

I have had an offline conversation (email and voice) with Matt, and have clarified some details of the situation that were not clear from the thread of postings.

First, the presumption about the use of TCP/IP in this configuration is incorrect. The configuration (this was somewhat clear from the posting of the output of the SHOW USERS/FULL command) is what is known as a "Reverse Telnet" connection. Telnet is used to connect to the terminal server, and the terminal server communicates with the VAX using serial lines.

The main problem in this situation is the lack of the password for the management mode of the server. The only way to clear this is to do a hardware reset.

Obtaining a second terminal server that is identical to the first and experimenting with it, rather than taking chances with the production environment is a cautious, prudent choice. Matt is responsible for a production environment upon which his company depends for its operations. In this case, the cost of prudence is minimal, so there is no reason not to be prudent.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

I found some old notes. Maybe these will be of help. I believe I made connection using Windows machine and telnet. In the notes, I make reference to the commands for each independent port configuration. Also note that you have to define a corresponding logical device within the VMS system that makes connection to the physical port.

(You don't happen to be using SCADA software from a small company in Bay Area...are you?)

· I’m still working on a solution but I figure I should capture what I’ve learned so far. [Did it a second time and revised instructions]
· Clear volatile memory by depressing “TEST” button and powering up device (about 8 seconds)
· Configure single PC to use static IP address something like 10.49.1.5 (local PC is 10.49.1.25) and connect to Lantronix using cross-over cable.
· At command-line use the following
o ARP – S 10.49.1.202 00-80-a3-17-00-00 (mac address)
o Then PING the device with the appropriate address (this sets the IP address)
o Use EZCON software from Lantronix to force IP address.
o Log into device with TELNET into the device (no password for low level).
o To change configuration you must login as a higher user with the following commands:
>> SET PRIV
>> <password>
o Note that you use SET to configure the on-line command and use DEFINE to configure non-volatile memory.
o The commands are stored on the VMS computer at PRJ$TXT. They are labeled:
o EPSRVA_CFG.CMD
o EPSRVB_CFG.CMD
o To reboot the device after configuration:
o INI DELAY 0
o You might have to reboot VMS.

Some hints:
o Show server
o Show services (should only be EPSA)
o Show port 1
o Monitor port 1
o Save port
o Save server
o Save services all

Yes and no.

I purchased a 16 port Lantronix to work with from eBay, but it didn't work. So the guy then sent me an 8 port. That one didn't work either. So then it dawned on me that maybe I should try different ports on the server. So by switching the cables around, I was able to add four more connections. This was not the ideal solution, but it worked none-the-less.

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back