Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need more ethernet connections to our VMS box 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlyon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2006
Hello,

I just started a Sys Admin position with a Windoze network that includes a VMS server for historical data.

The server is being accessed via a Lantronix ETS16 Ethernet Terminal Server. This device seems to only allow a maximum of eight connections.

I need to setup another one and was hoping that somebody could provide the basic steps required to set this up?

I also cannot access this remotely. I have a Cisco router and multiple IP addresses. I have IP address XXX.XXX.XXX.157 forwarded to 192.168.1.5 (the terminal server's address) with all ports open and I cannot ping it from the outside. I can ping it from the router, but not outside. The router is showing that it is passing the data, but the TS is not replying. Any suggestions?

Not sure from the information in your post if the terminal server or VMS is limiting your connections, so if your asking out telnet sessions, you should check the limit for the telent service on VMS.

$ TCPIP
tcpip> SHOW SERVICE /FULL TELNET

look at the "Limit:" on the lower left hand side. You can use "SET SERVICE /LIMIT=n TELNET to adjust the telnet session limit.

As for the TS not answering pings, this may be a number of problems. Could be access lists on your router, incorrect mask and gateway setting on your terminal server, or it may not answer pings as a security setting. Can the terminal server ping itself?

You might also check the protocol. The VAX and Lantronix might be talking LAT protocol rather than Ethernet protocol. LAT protocol is a little tricky.

mattlyon,

The fact that you were able to assign an address to the terminal server, and that it replies to pings from the router, but not to pings from the outside, implies that there is an error in the IP settings involved.

Either the Gateway address specified in the Terminal Server is incorrect, or there is a routing/filtering rule prohibiting the use of the ICMP protocol between an outside node and the terminal server, or a subnet of which the terminal server is a member.

On the other hand, if your users all have desktops, a terminal emulator that provides telnet support may be a better solution.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

js2801, this is VMS Version 5.4 and 'TCPIP' is not a command. Do you know what command(s) would allow me to pull up this info?

mjpearson, It seems to be configured for both.

BobGezelter, you are correct, the gateway is incorrect. Now I just need to figure out how to update it! The define command doesn't seem to work and neither does the GUI interface that I downloaded from Lantronix.

Actually, I just found that I cannot modify the Lantronix as I do not have the privileged password. Aaargh!!!!

mattlyon,

Since somebody was able to set the IP address of the additional Lantronix, somebody must have the password.

If all else fails, boxes such as the Lantronix have a procedure for resetting the box to the factory state. WARNING: This may very well erase ALL settings on the Lantronix. You probably want to at least archive those settings that are in the box presently (recreating the current configuration can be a painful exercise).

Also, the manual for the Lantronix should be online.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately the last few people have left here on not-so-good terms. So there is no resource for prior passwords.

Resetting it is a scary proposition as I do not have a record of the settings nor I am I familiar enough with the device to believe that I wouldn't have any problems reconfiguring it.

I have both manuals. The config manual is about 80 pages the main one is about 300+ I have learned a lot from them, that's how I know that I don't have the privileged password!

mattlyon,

That can be a problem. I have had to deal with several similar situations in the past at various clients, it can get interesting. In the end, each situation had a happy ending, although some of them did involve a bit of work.

There are limitations to what can be reasonably done over a forum suuch as Tek-Tips. The general answer is to make complete notes of the current configuration, and then use the factory reset, but that can be a challenge (I admit that it doesn't upset me, but I have had do do this sort of reconfiguration many times over the last 25+ years).

As a starting point, have you tried the default privileged password that is stated in the manual?

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

Yes, I tried the default as well as the usual passwords that I had available to me from my predecessors. Thanks for your assistance.

Do you know how I can access this information?:

$ TCPIP
tcpip> SHOW SERVICE /FULL TELNET

The TCPIP command does not work on this version.

mattlyon,

I wish that I could be of more assistance. Unfortunately, there are limits to what one can do remotely through a forum.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

mattlyon,

The software package presently known as TCP/IP services (with the commands beginning TCPIP), was originally named the "Ultrix Connection" (with the commands beginning "UCX").

On a Version 5.4 system, the commands are probably available through the base UCX command.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

nope, this is what I've got:

:=
=
@
ACCOUNTING
ALLOCATE
ANALYZE
APPEND
ASSIGN
ATTACH
AUTHORIZE
AUTOGEN
BACKUP
CALL
CANCEL
CLOSE
CONNECT
CONTINUE
CONVERT
COPY
CREATE
DEALLOCATE
DEASSIGN
DEBUG
DECK
DEFINE
DELETE
DEPOSIT
DIBOL
DIFFERENCES
DIRECTORY
DISCONNECT
DISKQUOTA
DISMOUNT
DUMP
EDIT
EOD
EOJ
Errors
EXAMINE
EXCHANGE
EXIT
FDL
FONT
Format_of_error
GOSUB
GOTO
HELP
Hints
IF
INITIALIZE
INQUIRE
INSTALL
Instructions
JOB
LATCP
Lexicals
LIBRARY
LICENSE
Line_editing
LINK
LMCP
LOGIN
LOGOUT
MACRO
MAIL
MERGE
MOUNT
NCP
NCS
ON
OPEN
PASSWORD
PATCH
PHONE
PRINT
PSWRAP
PURGE
Queues
READ
RECALL
RECOVER
RENAME
REQUEST
RETURN
RMS
RTL_Routines
RUN
RUNOFF
SEARCH
SET
SHOW
SORT
SPAWN
Specify
START
STOP
SUBMIT
Symbol_Assign
SYNCHRONIZE
SYSGEN
SYSMAN
System_Services
TFF
TYPE
UIL
UNLOCK
V54_NewFeatures
VIEW
WAIT
WRITE

mattlyon,

the UCX command is likely not listed in the HELP text (it is part of a separate product).

What happens when you type "UCX" at the $ prompt?

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

%DCL-W-IVVERB, unrecognized command verb - check validity and spelling
\UCX\

mattlyon,

You may not have the definitions in your login environment. It is sort of hard to sort this out, as I do not have a system that old online (with the UCX product installed) to work with.

Robert "Bob" Gezelter,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back