Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need HELP recovering data!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nztr

Technical User
Nov 20, 2006
US
when i turn my laptop on my hard rive started making this funny noise (BZZzzZZz...) so i bought a 2.5 mobile hard disk box so i can hook up my hd to the usb port. so i hooked up the hard drive to my other pc and it seem my damaged hard drive does work. but i have to wiggle it around so my pc can read whats inside. everytime i open a folder i need to shake my damaged hard drive so it can release the data. i guess its damege from the inside, i was thinking to open my hard drive to see whats wrong inside. shoul i? so after struggling and shaking my hard drive up and down some how i manage to go to my documents but it wont let me go in. the hard drive came out of compaq presario 2800t. so i dont know if compaq protects my documents. what cant i do??? i need my files... THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

It does sound like your drive has some physical damage, however, if shaking it makes stuff show up, recovery software might not help at all. When you try to get into my documents, if you get an error like "you do not have permission" or something like that, it is likely due to a password protected account. The problem with that is that you need to get the system to boot to recover your data. I haven't found a way around this really annoying reality in Windows XP. (other than A. not using passwords, and B. always backing up data to another device, but I'm sure you don't really want to hear that kind of talk.) It sounds like a loose connection somewhere. I would LIGHTLY tighten any screws on the drive and try it before taking the board off. Also, it may be possible to copy all files over to a new drive (which it sounds like you need to already) and boot from that. Perhaps someone else here will chime in. I don't think they'll copy without the password. I would be tempted to reinstall into the laptop. see if the right shaking will get it to boot, then copy to flash drive if possible.

Enjoy!

Kevin

thank a lot kgeil and Santei1 i hope im able to recover my files. sucks...

Since we are not sure what to, why don't u join ur HDD support team (if there is any).
post back about results, please.

It sounds like the mechanics for the drive are worn, not broken. When the mechanics wear down, holding the drive in different positions re-aligns the mechanics and allows it to read. If you find a position that works, hold it there till you get the data off. Try not to actually shake it or you will cause more damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back