Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Networking Pc to PC (Win 2000 & Win ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just got a new Dell laptop (running windows millenium) and I need to transfer all the files from my desktop computer (windows 2000 server version) to the new laptop with a ethernet cable. Can someone give me some advice. Heres what I tried so far.

1. network cards for both computers are installed and works fine (connects to internet with a cat5 cable)

2. created a name "Phil's Lap" for the laptop

3. created workgroup name on the laptop the same as the desktop workgroup name "WORKGROUP"

4. made the c drive on both comps full shared.

5. got a crossover cable and connected to each comp.

This is pretty much all I did, I don't know what else to do. I tried searching for the computer by name but it comes up with nothing. I messed around with the windows 2000 networking configurations and one time i was able to see the other computer when i clicked on "computers near me". But when i clicked on the name of the other computer it wouldn't open it getting a message saying something like "computer can't be found" or somehting like that.
Please help, someone...

Is file and Print Sharing installed on BOTH machines? On the WinME machine when you click on the file and print sharing section on the Network Properties are the 2 check boxes checked? Try that and get back to us. Let me know if these help. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

but for the 2000 sever version, there are no boxes to check

But the service is installed correct? There is an account on the Win2K server for the WinME System? The WinME system the workgroup is the same? try changing the Workgroup name on both Systems. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

hi try to see if you have file and print sharing enabled in win 'me' and also check netbui protocol instalation on both machines.
:)

Techymanish, in the post he states that file and print sharing is checked which means it is enabled. With tcp/ip and file and print sharing enabled, you don't need netbui. If he wants to install netbui to ensure the net connection is okay, that's fine. But the more protocols you have installed, the more resources they take. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

well its the third day of trying to network these two computers, I am getting pretty desperate now. The sharing is on (the whole c drive on both computers) and both computers have same workgroup name ("workgroup"). Butchrecon I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "assigning account on the win 2k" but here's another thing I tried...

First I assigned the IP address number on the 2K computer 127.168.1.1
IP address number on the WinME computer 127.168.1.5
subnetmask on both comps 255.255.255.0

I pinged both computers and they responded normally. I created a user name "guest" on both computers and assigned passwords. I connected the computers with the crossover cables, (the winME computer's NIC card was lighting up but the 2k comp wasn't). Then i went to network neighborhood from the WinME computer and couldn't detect a network.

I also tried the parrallel port connection but I didn't have luck with that either.

Any advice will by very much appreciated.

philip Kim

point is, it does happen that network neighborhood takes time to update its display.

back to your problem.

good news is you can Ping! this means, communication is there. now, try to FIND/SEARCH for the computer names of each. if this is successful then your problem is solved. inasmuch as the Network Neighborhood or My Network Places is a handy util, better use the Windows Explorer Address Bar to access each computer using UNC.

\\computername\sharename

but before you actually try this, i would advice you to join the WinME computer into the Win2K domain. to do this, go to the Network Properties of the Win ME machine, check under Configuration if you have Microsoft Client. If you do, highlight it and click on Properties. specify the Win2K domain name in the Domain field and click OK. when you are back to the Network Properties dialog box, select Microsoft Client on the Primary Logon field and click on OK. restart your computer after this.

when Windows ME boots up, you should see the Windows Logon dialog box. three fields should be there; Logon Name, Password and Domain. fill-in all these fields with the necessary info and click OK. get back to me if you can logon, ok?

:)
Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrdebug@yahoo.com

I'm sorry when I said I pinged, I meant that I pinged the ip address on the same computer not the other one. When I ping the ip address of the other computer it would sometimes respond and most of the time it will time out. I can see the other computer when I'm in the network neighborhood and once in a while I can even go into the folder but eventually there is a big lag and i get a message saying "the network path cannot be found" or something like that. Does anyone recommend just to upgrade the ME to 2000? Is this going to solve my problem? The laptop just came with the Windows ME and I just decided to go with it.

Jeffrey How do I find out the domain of the WIndows 2000?

if there is also a pinging problem then adding this ME notebook to the domain may still generate errors. but simply to answer your question on how to find out the name of the domain, right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties. on the System Properties dialog box, click on the Network Identification tab. you should be able to see the actual domain name there.

TIP: although TCP/IP is a very good protocol, it is never intended or even recommended for very small networks. NetBEUI is still the best.

as for replacing ME with 2K Pro, please be warned that Notebooks are designed for specific OS platforms. so check if you do have the drivers for all the devices for Win2K Pro. or if you can source the out from the net. but, as mentioned, the hardware may not work properly.

good luck!!!

Jeffrey Rebong
jrdebug@yahoo.com

OK I'll take your advise on not upgrade the winME. NetbBEUI is set up on both computers. Could it possibly be a hardware problem? both NIC's go on the internet no problem. The NIC on the win 2k is really really old.

Oh another thing... is there a way to do a parrallel connection? I tried it and it didn't work either. I set the win 2k as host and win ME as guest but when I did start>programs>accessories>communications>direct connect on the WinME computer, it couldn't detect. I'm not sure if they are compatible??

have you already tried joining the domain? Jeffrey Rebong
jrdebug@yahoo.com

On a Previous Post You Pointed out that 1 NIC was Lighting up yet When you checked the other NIC it wasn't lighting up.Are you Sure its not just the Crossover Cable! Both NIC's Would be lit up if the Network Cable was Working Correctly.(Just a thought.)

Have you Shared any folders or drives on the teo computers? Yes you set up file and print sharing but did you actually set up any shared drives or folders? James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

hi philip king
i think the ip addresses of ur machines should be

and not these:

Kapil
Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

hi philip kim
i think the ip addresses of ur machines should be

and not these:

Kapil
Technical Director
Infovalley Interwebspiders Pvt. Ltd.
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
visit
If u find the information provided here useful to u then let me know by clicking on the link below s-)

If you have a firewall and anti-virus set up disable them both and then try it.
If you look at the crossover cable are the pin outs the same if so wrong cable.

yes, the crossover cables are correct. I bought it the day before making sure they are crossovers and yes, i shared the whole c drive on both computers and as i said before.

Sometimes the computers see each other and sometimes I am able to get into the files, but it lags big time and eventually the message comes up "network path not found".

I do have virus software and I will disable and try it. I will also try the ip address that was recommended...does it really make a difference though?

thanks guys for your efforts to help me.

Philip Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back