Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Help Networking Pc to PC (Win 2000 & Win ME)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just got a new Dell laptop (running windows millenium) and I need to transfer all the files from my desktop computer (windows 2000 server version) to the new laptop with a ethernet cable. Can someone give me some advice. Heres what I tried so far.

1. network cards for both computers are installed and works fine (connects to internet with a cat5 cable)

2. created a name "Phil's Lap" for the laptop

3. created workgroup name on the laptop the same as the desktop workgroup name "WORKGROUP"

4. made the c drive on both comps full shared.

5. got a crossover cable and connected to each comp.

This is pretty much all I did, I don't know what else to do. I tried searching for the computer by name but it comes up with nothing. I messed around with the windows 2000 networking configurations and one time i was able to see the other computer when i clicked on "computers near me". But when i clicked on the name of the other computer it wouldn't open it getting a message saying something like "computer can't be found" or somehting like that.
Please help, someone...

just tried those things and same result...i was able to see the files (laggy) but eventually "network path not found"

How about setting default gateway on each one to point to the other PC.
It can take awhile for W2K server to update itself sometimes over 20 minutes.

The problem has finally been resolved and everything is running smoothly. I bought a new network card for the windows 2k machine and it works perfectly now. Hardware problem!

Philip

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Most people (myself included) dont think to check the hardware itself. If you need more help you know where to find us. :) James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back