Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help, Job Status closes ArcServe Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

dholbrook

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
In Arcserve 2000 Manager, version 7.0 (build 1086), selecting Job Status immediately closes the Arcserve Manager. When I delete the 1.QSD folder, AND initilize the databases (sometines I have to do this several times), I can recover access to the job Status window, but then need to re-create all the jobs.

After re-creating the jobs, the job status selection will work correctly, showing the scheduled job, or else the job creation is acknowledged and then the job shows briefly in the job status window followed by the manager being closed down again.

However, yesterday, after initializing the databases and creating new jobs, I ran a short backup test job, which finished and posted in the job status window. I then created the job to run that night, which also displayed. Once the job ran, the job status window again closes the manager down when it is selected.

Any help on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

First off if you save the jobs to disk they can be added again without the need to recreate them.

It is probably not related to the Database and it only a case of the Job Queue being corrupted again and again.

If remote management is being used make sure all the updates have been installed at the remote Manager. For that matter make sure the server is up to date with current ARCserve updates.

Perhaps there is something about one of the jobs being created that is causing the queue corruption. As a test setup a simple job just to get the data backed up, and see if the problem happens again.

David,

Thanks for the response. What is the best way to save the job so I can recover it later?

It does not seem to matter which job I create, they all cause the manager to close down after they run or as soon as they are posted to be run.

The jobs are being created directly on the server that is running the job, no remote manager is being used.

I have run test jobs that successfully run and post in the manager job status window, but the next time I open the Manager window, job status closes the window as soon as it is selected.

David,

Sounds great, but to select the job in the queue you need to display job statue! :)

Back to the initial problem......

David,

Another quick question, as you seem to be the one to ask. When I initialize the DB, there are a lot of very old files left in the database directory, which I believe should be able to be removed. I have a lot of files with a .dbd ending, that are years old. How do I get the database to start over and quit carrying forward all these old files (about 70-80 MB worth every time the db gets initialized)?

I have a lot (80+) of rxxxxxx.chg files that are also very old (2-3 years)and must be able to be cleaned out somehow. Right now the database folder has over 200 files in it, and there has been only one backup run since the db was initialized the last time.

Thanks, :)

You seem to have a lot of leftovers in the database after initializing. The rxxxxxx.chg files are an indication of database corruption. I think you can delete these files without problems. But maybe in yor situation it is wise to completely uninstall and reinstall ARCserve from scratch, since your database is empty anyway. You can also consider to upgrade ARCserve to Sp4 (build 1100), but be sure to stop all ARCserve related services before running the upgrade.

regards

Time is limited and so I don't always read or remember the whole thread, thus sometimes I do make mistakes.

So when you create the new job you have the same option to Save.

As for all the raaa files see the faqs I wrote a couple that should help explain. If I had more time and a quicker connection I'd provide the faq numbers. Check under the Database section, they should clear things up.

DavidMichel,

Just an update, I was able to solve the problem with the SP4 install, followed by a database initialization and removing the .QSD folder after the SP was installed, then building new jobs. It has run successfully for several days now, and I can again access the jobs in the manager window without closing the window down.

Thanks for the help.

David

Hi,

I have upgrade Arcserve to SP5 but I am still facing problems when opent he job, the arcserve manager closed down.

I will appreaciate if you are able to help because I am not able to modify the job that I have created.

Everytime I click on the Job that i have created, the arcserve manager closed.

Thanks

Hoay Fern (Hoay-Fern

hoayfern,

Yours seems different and just due to a corrupt job. Create a new job and see if that does not work correcty. If yes then just delete the old job and create a new one. To delete it stop the Job Engine, close the manager and then you can delete that job from the queue directory. 000....qsd. Or just delete the whole directory and let it be recreated when you start the Job Engine and bring the Manager back up.

Hi David,

Well, I install the ARCESERVE 2000 from scratch and create the job one by one.

The when i clcik on the job status again, the arcserve manager closed.

I already applied the SP5 - (BUILD 1110), it is still the same problem.

I have tried to uninstall and install it for many many times.

At last, i go to the 0000.qsd folder and delete the jopb and recreate the job.

i managed to do it but it appears as corrupted job under the status - the job that i deleted.

Now i am facing another problems which is i am not able to restore from tape.

I got below error message:

ASRUNJOB.ECE- APPLICATION ERROR

The instruction at "ox77fc8fe1" referenced memory at "0x00460020".
The memory coluld not be "written"

Click on OK to terminate the program

I am going to be crazy because the arcserve 2000

Hoay Fern

boayfern,

I have found that the corrupted job happens to me also. If I remember correctly, the steps I did to fix the problem were to initialize the datadase, then get rid of the 1.qsd folder, stop all the engines, then restart the engines. I then repeated all this agaian, which removed all the corrupted jobs, etc. Once I did all that, I had a system that stayed up, so I installed the patch (SP4), stopped and restarted all engines and rebuilt the jobs. Then I rebooted the system to get a clean restart.

The result is that I finally got rid of the corrupted jobs, etc., and it seems to be working correctly, and is clean again. The re-install of the SP after cleaning out everything seems tohave deleted/corrected what ever was corrupted.

I suspect you have the same issues with corruption that is not being deleted with the simple approach of just purging the jobs and/or the database. I would try the same steps listed above to purge the database, then purge the jobs, restart the engines, then system reboot, then reinstall the SP you are using to hopefully give you a clean slate to rebuild you jobs from.

HTH,

David

Uninstall
restart the server
reinstall
make sure all the ARCserve services are stopped
install SP5

Hi David Michel,

I have tried this method....

Uninstall
restart the server
reinstall
make sure all the ARCserve services are stopped
install SP5

but it doestn works to me ....

Please advice ...

Hoay Fern

Hi David,

Thanks for ur reply.

I am quite new to ARCSERVE 2000, can I check with you how should i initialize the datadase, then get rid of the 1.qsd folder?

Hoay Fern

Initilize a database
ARCserve Server Admin
Database tab
Operation
Initilize Database
you can initilize all at once or pick specific ones.

delete the queue
stop all the AS services
close the manager
delete the 00000000.qsd directory
when ARCserve is brought back up it will be recreated.

Note: In general the backup jobs should be saved to disk in a directory outside of ARCserve. This is just for administration reasons. The queue directory can be copied out and then later put back. So you can create a new queue and then if you want go back to the old one. Same applies to the VLDB database.

However with that message it is expected that there will be exception logs in the ARCserve log directory and/or a record of it in the Dr Watson log. For the program to reference another application's memory indicates that there is either a mix of file versions, or corruption.

Hi David,

what i have done:

stop the tape, d
atabase and job engine. After this rename your folder 00000001.qsd to some other name. After this create anew 00000001.qsd folder by yourself. After this restart your tape,database and job engine. After that create new jobs using backup manager not the backup wizards and save it as a script file. Then try doing a backup and restore job.

Can I check with you after i create new job using the BACKUP MANAGER, I wanted to save it as script file, how can I do it ?

I will try to restore and see whether the error message:

Hoay Fern

Hoay Fern,

Since you have corruption in the system, you need to clean out the entire database and the job folder to try to get rid of the problem.

I recommend that you initialize all the databases, delete the .qsd folder, cycle the engines (all three), and then reboot the system. Having done all this, next run the Service Pack to give you a good set of files, and reboot the system again.

It is not necessary to make a new .qsd folder, the ARCServe system will do that by itself.

Once you have rebooted after the Service Pack install, it will be necessary to rebuild (or import back) the jobs, since when you remove the .qsd folder you also deleted all the jobs.

Before you go to all the trouble of rebuilding all your original jobs, I would recommend making a simple trial job to back up something and then see if the original problem still exists (trying to view a job closes the ARCServe window down). Only if the new job works and you can still view the results is it worth the trouble to rebuild the original job. If you still have the closing the window problem, I recommend repeating the above steps and try it all again. I had to do this several times before the issue cleared up, so I suspect the problem is both file and registry content related.

By the way, I would recommend rebuilding the original job from scratch, as you can not be sure that the job you saved would not bring the same problem back when you re-import it into the system.

If after going throught this exercise a couple of times does not yield a successful result, then I would take the next step to uninstall and re-install ARCServer from scratch. Again, check the new install to see that it works, then apply the Service packs and test it again.

HTH,

David

To save a job to disk,
Job Status window
select the job and then Modify
from the menue bar file save as

Once Modify is selected the job is put on hold so either resubmit the job or close the Modify window and then in Job Status set the job back to ready.

(it's from memory, but should be close enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back