Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need help, Job Status closes ArcServe Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

dholbrook

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
In Arcserve 2000 Manager, version 7.0 (build 1086), selecting Job Status immediately closes the Arcserve Manager. When I delete the 1.QSD folder, AND initilize the databases (sometines I have to do this several times), I can recover access to the job Status window, but then need to re-create all the jobs.

After re-creating the jobs, the job status selection will work correctly, showing the scheduled job, or else the job creation is acknowledged and then the job shows briefly in the job status window followed by the manager being closed down again.

However, yesterday, after initializing the databases and creating new jobs, I ran a short backup test job, which finished and posted in the job status window. I then created the job to run that night, which also displayed. Once the job ran, the job status window again closes the manager down when it is selected.

Any help on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

DavidMichel,

This reminds me of the "hole in the bucket" song, because the problem this thread is all about is that we can not keep the Job Status window open long enough to be able to save the job!

I did not have to go as far as to re-install , but I did have to clean out all the databases and jobs, plus install the SP4 in order to overwite everything to fix the original problem. Now, thanks in no small part to all your wonderful assistance, my system is working correctly again. Now I could even save the current job (and probably should!) to some other location so I can restore it later if needed.

I would, however, like to say thank you again for all your wonderful help. Hopefully we can also get Hoay up and running again.

Since this does to be a problem that happens under many different Service Packs, maybe we should put together a suggested fix proceedure and post it?

Your thoughts?

David Holbrook

This is a problem reported since version 6.0. I have never been able to figure out how or why it happens, and have never been able to reproduce it.

You are right it would make a good faq. I'll make a note, but no time right now for it.

Dear all,

The problem Job Status closes ArcServe Manager solved but now i have a very critial problem which is not able to solve.

Can I check with you for the ARCSERVER 2000 ADVANCED EDITION VERSION 7.0 (BUILD 1018) compatible with WINDOWS 2000 SERVER service pack 4?

I have uninstall the ARCSERVER 2000 , before uninstall it, I stop all the engines, then i restart the machine.

Then i install ARCSERVE 2000 , create backup job without using backup wizard. It is able to backup successfully.

When I tried to restore , i got the error message that I attached before. I am not using the restore wizard to restore.

I am using the restore option to restore the data. I have tried to restore by tree, restore by media, restore by session. I get the same error message.

Please assits because It is very dangerous that i am not able to restore the data when it is needed.

Hoay Fern

As said before an exception or gpf is caused by either corruption or incorrect file version.

My best advise is to just use a different server for backups rather than trying to troubleshoot it. Move the tape device and install it there and it will take maybe an hour and then you can get on with things.

Do a restore by media. This method does not use the database. If it works you probably have a database problem.

Install ARCserve on a new system then compare the files with the problem istallation. It will also provide you with a blank database that can be copied right over the existing one. Yes I know it is a new install, but this will verify it is not the second reason above. This the files check out you will probably have to open a support issue with CA.

If the address is always the same then it should be easy for an engineer to track it down. If the address is different then it is usually not so easy to track down. Many times ARCserve will write exception logs in the log directory. If there check the listing of files. If the list ends on the same system file do system wide search for the file. Update all copies to the latest version. Logic here is that ARCserve uses system (non ARCserve) files, and there is an older version that is getting loaded in memory and being used.

There are other things like uninstalling again and then using a program like System Mechanic to make sure it was in fact a clean and complete uninstall. This can be an issue sometimes when it was an upgrade from older versions.

Renaming the temp directories and creating new ones.

Make sure the service start up using the System account.
Make sure the ARCserve system account is an admin.
checking permissions to winnt\system32, ARCserve, and the ARCserve share.

That is about all I can think of.

hoayfern

In the future it will make things a lot easier on everyone else if you put the same post in one thread only.

Also in your second post to this thread you started in on this new problem. It should have been put into it's own thread. That way others looking for help with exception problems would be able to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back