Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need a Wireless Handset Solution For IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstew3

Vendor
Jan 27, 2004
US
Hey guys, i have a sort of special needs customer that is looking for a wireless handset solution for their executives. Here's the issue, they don't like the smaller form factors that have come out recently because some of them are older folks, and the smaller keys are hard on them. They currently use the Avaya 3910s, which they like, but they are having issues with them and cannot get replacements, etc. as they are discontinued. The other issue is line appearances. The 3910 allows them to have 4 programmable lines, and this is a must for any replacements. They each have a personal line, a normal business line connected to an OPX, a security line connected to a door access system, and then a line for their assistants. Have you guys tried the D160? How does it compare? Do you know of a 3rd party phone that would work with the IPO?

Thank you intrigrant,

I reviewed the link that you provided previously, and again in case I missed something. Unfortunately, neither the Polycom (KIRK) or the Grandstream DP-715 offers physical buttons for the 4 line appearances that this customer requires like that of the 3910. The Avaya D160 looks like a great option, and it has 8 "Feature Keys" at the bottom that can be programmed for IPO features. Unfortunately line appearances isn't one of the available features. Anyone know of a way to manipulate the feature keys on the D160 to be line appearances?

The D160 cannot have appearance keys, you can program shortcodes under these buttons but nothing fancy.
I am not aware of any other wireless phone which can provide appearance ( or any other system feature ) button.
I thought you were looking for just any wireless phone, my apologies.

I think you could make the feature keys ACT like appearances. I mean, really who needs that on a wireless phone? Just shortcode them

People adapt very quickly when forced to do so, even though they would have you believe it's impossible for them to change beforehand. I am sure they could get used to the screen saying "Security" when it's a security line call and equate that to the button it used to indicate against and within a month they would find it easier and going back would cause equal if not more uproar. It's that or another system really :)

I was thinking about the short code option, I just can't figure out in my head how to make it do exactly what I want. From the available features that you can assign, I could do a BLF key which would show if someone was actively on a line, but if they pressed the key, it would speed dial that BLF ext. I was wondering if I could do something in ARS to manipulate that speed dial and make it dial a trunk access code to select a specific line that they wanted for that key. The only problem with this, if I could make that work, is that key would only light (BLF) if a particular station was busy, bot necasarily a line on that station right?

The other feature would be to make the keys a straight speedcall key that dialed a trunk access code. This would select the proper line for them, but not show line status if the line was already in use.

The 364x WiFi phones can have buttons programmed but are very expensive and very picky on which AP is used.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back