Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need a copy from each mailbox for tracking 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeriyurParthi

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2001
IN
Hi all
i need a copy of a message in a particualr mail box for security purpose. ie when ever a user sends a internal mail or internet mail the copy of a mail should store in a specified mail box, this has to be managed from exchange server. Lot of replies and postings will be appreciated.
Note: this has to be managed from server, not from client side.

thanks
parthiban

hi all
i have created a distribution list for 8 users, by including the 8 users in memmbers menu, iam sucessfully receving the incomeing intranet emails for all 8 users included in distribution list, when i use to send a mail from other websites like yahoo, or hotmail the email from outside is not receiving for all the 8 users, replies and help will be more useful.
cheers
parthiban

PeriyurParthi so what you mean is that when you send an email from the outside "yahoo,hotmai,etc." those emails are not getting to any of the mailboxes in that distribution list you just created?????????????

thanks ittest
absouletely. when i use send inside my network ie intranet mails , i can able to receive in distribution list, when outside mails comes to mailbox the distribution list is not working.
replies will be helpful
thanks
parthi

I think you or the people from the outside do not have the right "smtp address" remember that when they send email to this list they must type it exactly as it shows under the list properties on the exchange.....Let me know what is the list name and how are you sending email to it from the outside.

thanks ittest , here is the settings
i have created a distribution list called ecopy and included 8 users in members menu. i Started receiving emails from 8 users when ever they recieve emails, but this receiving is only on my network, ie on intranet, i think this distribution list is only working for receiptients, not for internet mails.
mean time when i use to download external mails from my website thru particular user, the mails downloading from website(external mails) are not receiving for all 8 users. it would be more helpful , if you give me a right solution
thanks
parthiban

You will need to fill in the Send Copy to: xxxxx in every of those 8 mailboxes to the ecopy group. Anything coming into one of those mailboxes will also be send as a copy to ecopy. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

thanks marcs.
there is no option in user mail box
"Send Copy to: xxxxx"
Detail Explanation will be helpful
thanks
parthi

Yes there is, that is a basic administration task.

Open the users properties from Recipients and go to the Delivery Options tab. Where it says Alternative Recipient you can select the forwarding Recipient. You also get the option to forward or copy new mail, select copy. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

thanks marcs,
exactly i have done, i have configured as you said for incomeing mailbox, my setttings is as below.
1) mailbox "Export" will automatically connect to internet and download all mails from my website , haveing 8 users.
2) The mails will be available in export mail box , and we will manually forward to all 8 users.
3) Useing Distribution List as we discussed above i have made to receieve mails to all 8 users.
4)I have Included distribution list(ecopy) to export mailbox as alternateive receiptient. Though Iam not getting outside mails.
Thnanks
Parthi

PeriyurParthi , why are you forwarding the mail to 8 users if you are going to forward it to a distributionlist, with the same 8 users?
And make SURE you set the option to forward or copy new mail to COPY, or export will not have the mail anymore, unless that is not needed.
BTW, do you get ANY external emails for anyone?
If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

really sorry marcs, a copy to all 8 users thru distribution list.Not Forwarding.

so when ever i recive a mail to export, the same mail has to be in all 8 users, thru distribution list. Again iam sure its is working under Intranet, when i use to download mail from my website, distribution list is not working, iam not getting a copy to all 8 users.
replies will be more helpful

huh ? in YOUR point 2) you say:
'and we will manually FORWARD to all 8 users'
This is getting confusing, let's go step by step and answer the questions please.

Do you get ANY mail from the outside (internet) to any address (besides those 8) ? If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

hi marcs
the points noted above are my current settings, i need to automate the manuualy process, for that only we are going for distribution list. hope you have got it!!, let me explain my settings at presnet:
1) i have around 20 users mail box
2) among 20 one whihc is "export" i use to download all mails from internet,(we have our own website and mailserver)
3) after downloading, we use to manually forward to particualr users mail box in our intranet.
4)all the mails downloaded, has to made a compulsory copy to 8 users among 20 (those 8 where higher officials & have to go thru all incomeing mails)
5)I need to automate the whole process.
6) i have come to know that distribution list will solve my problem.
7) after configuring distribution list, iam getting a copy to all 8 users only thru intranet but not from downloaded mails from website ie internet mails
About Distribution List
=======================
8) i have created a distribution list from
file-new -distribution list as ecopy
# in memmbers area i have included all 8 users
# in "export" mail box( which i use to download outside internet mails) properties-delivery option-alternative mails-> i have included ecopy and Checked copy box also.

after completing all the above, iam receiving only local intranet mails but not outside internet mails.
i think you have understood my problem.
Solution and replies will be more helpful
thanks
parthiban

ok, i see your previous post now, it was a mix of the before and after. It was just a litlle confusing.
As a test, create a temporary user mailbox and distribution list, with just you as a member.
Copy all incoming mail to that ditribution list from the alternative setting of that temp mailaccount.
Send soem testmails to that account, from LAn en from internet (Hotmail or so).
Does that work, and if not, how far does the mail get?
If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

O, and by the way, it is not really 'legally' allowed for anyone (including the high officials) to read anyone elses email.
Just a thought to bare in mind. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

thanks a lot marcs,
as per instructed by i have configured, again its not working for outside (hotmail, yahoo) mails, its working fine
for local intranet mails.thanks. any other solutions
thanks
parthi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back