Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEC Univerge SV8100 stuck on "Initializing" after system reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

John414

Technical User
Aug 10, 2020
US
Hello,

I am a hobbyist and I love to work on phone systems. I picked up this Univerge phone system off of ebay. It came with 4 12-button phones and a chassis with the CD-CP00, CD-LTA, and CD-4COTB (in that order). When I first plugged the system in and tried to set it up, the phones were stuck at "Initialize" on the display screen. I think this is because somehow, the programming was erased and so now the CD-LTA blade needs to be reconfigured to be set as Stations 1-8 (just a hypothesis- I could be wrong).

I played around with it and eventually tried factory resetting it. I powered it down, held down the Load SW for 10 seconds, then let go. Now, LED 2 is ON, which according to the manual, means it is "Initializing". The other blades also show that the system is "Initializing". It has been doing this for about 10+ minutes. Obviously, there is no way it can be "Initializing" for this long. Did I skip a step or is it waiting on me to do something? I reached out to the guy on ebay, but I think he was an end-user rather than a tech, so I doubt he will have any advice on what to do.

I was unable to get PC Pro working because I believe my login when trying to set up a new account was incorrect, which prompted me to reset the system. If anyone has any advice or a solution, please let me know. I attached a photo to the post, but since this is my first post, I am not sure if it uploaded correctly.

Any help is appreciated!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=af5247ff-dbd8-4c29-9de3-75d23ca48f2b&file=IMG_1232.heic
A LDT-A card is for a single line telephone. For a DTerm you will need a 4 or 8 DTA card.

The previous owner of this system used this same card for his phones (the same ones that came with this system- I bought a package). Did his phone company configure it differently?

Also, do you have a suggestion for getting past the initializing stage on the Control card itself? And once I do, what login do I use to connect the system on Pc Pro (the part where you set up an account).

I am using Port CN101 for the digital phones. Do I need to configure it in programming for the system to recognize the port as Stations 101-108?

Also, how can I get past the "Initializing" stage on the CD-CP00? This is my main issue right now as this impacts the other card and I cannot get past it.

First question is if you have it wired right. You should also be able to get into the programming of the system vis the ethernet port to see if it even running. You don't even need PCPro, just use IE.

So I was able to get the system out of the 'Initializing" phase. However, it has an unusual LED pattern now. It is LED1 blinking, LED2 on, LED3-5 off. This indication is nowhere in the manual. Do you know what this means?

I believe the system is wired right. I made a custom cable and followed the newer Cat 5 protocol, so it should be ok. The phones are working now and are back to saying "Initialize".

I cannot access the system via Ethernet port. It just says "Connection failed" and "refused to connect" on IE and Chrome. I determined that my computer and the system is on the internet.

Can I use the COM port (USB) to connect my computer to the system?

The cables don't follow "Cat5 protocol" So it probably isn't ok. They are RJ61 which means the first circuit is on 4 & 5 second circuit is on 3 & 6 third on 2 & 7 and finally fourth is on 1 & 8. You can not use the USB to connect. Have you tried setting the IP of your computer to be on the appropriate network, the default IP of the system is 192.168.0.10 It doesn't use DHCP so it will not just get an address on your network if you plug it in which is probably why you are getting the responses you are. Set your computer to a static IP address of (for example) 192.168.0.200 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 (you don't need a gateway or DNS server for this) and connect directly from your computer to the system.

Ok! I was able to enter into the Web UI. How can I get past the "Initialize" on the station? The LEDs on the Main Control Blade blinks LED1= 1s flashing, LED2= on, LED3-5= off. On the CD-LTA, the LEDs are LED1= on, LED2= 1s flashing. According to the hardware manual, it says that the "assignment of the unit is refused", however the WebPro says that Stations 101-110 are assigned, and Trunks 001-004 are assigned to that card. I don't know what the problem is here. What should I do to get past the "initialize" screen on the phone?

Pull the LTA card, go into system config and remove the card. Re-insert card.

This procedure did not work. It still has the same "Initialize" message on the phone and the LED patterns on both the LTA card and the main Control card. Is there any other procedures I can perform to try to resolve this?

I would try and find a working sv8100 digital card to put in there. Sounds like you might have blown something when you possibly sent voltage back into the system when you wired it incorrectly. What phones are you trying to plug in? DT300?

Yes, 4x 12-button DT300 phones. As in digital card, do you mean either an 8DLCA or a 16DLCA to replace the LTA blade, or do you mean a whole new CP00 card?

Could be anything. I would start simple. Have you defaulted the system since you fixed the wiring? I would try just an 8dlca or whatever. The card should have a blinking green light when its working.

Currently the LTA does not have a 100ms flashing green light and instead has a solid red and a 1s flashing green. I tried to default the system before, which essentially got it stuck in "Initializing" for about a whole day, so I'm hesitant to try that again. I will probably get an 8DLCA off of ebay.

I would start from scratch.

Pull all cards other than the CP-00, turn system on while holding the 'Load' switch for a while (I normally do it for about 30 seconds, this is overkill, but better safe than sorry).

Set LAN Adapter on your PC to 192.168.0.123
Connect your LAN Adapter on your PC to Ethernet Port on CP-00
Open Internet Explorer, go to Login using default credentials

This should boot into WebPro, and under the 'System Configuration' menu, you should see your chassis with no cards.

Plugin your LTA Card with the 4COB on it, LED Light on the card should go red as it initialises, and gets firmware from the CPU, once the LED goes green, you can refresh the 'System Config' screen and it should show the card. Plug a phone into the ESI 1-4 Port on the card, and you should get ext 101 after about 15-30 seconds.

This is an update:

I ordered an 8DLCA card, which fixed the problem. I was able to hook up my phones and extensions. I think the LTA card was defective or I had blown something in it. The next step is button programming. I've been able to do some local DSS programming through the phones. I am trying to get the keys updated to the correct line key configuration, however, it keeps giving me a "configuration error". The line is programmed as Line 001 when I do Help, then Key 1 on the phone, but when I press the key, nothing happens. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back