Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEAX2000 IVS with Dterm DTP-16D-1 Phones - a noobs noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenxten

MIS
Dec 7, 2006
US
Hi guys,

I am yet another IT guy thrown into the pbx world to "figure it out or else". So as the subject line said we're running the NEC NEAX 2000 IVS and most everyone has the Dterm Series E phones, model DTP-16D-1.

I am so new that it took me a week to find out how to forward all calls. Its getting ugly fast. Todays disaster is that I have to play musical chairs with three cubicles.

Extension A gets moved to phone (station?) B
Extension B gets moved to phone C
Extension C gets moved to phone A
and then
Extension X gets moved to phone Y and vice a versa

I got a whole bunch of PDF's that give me more headaches than answers.

I just need a little bit of help in the CAT programming on swapping or moving extenstions among the stations in our office - did I say that right?

So any one here familar with my situation?

thanks
Harry

Swapping stations on the IVS2000 is not easy. The IVS2 or IPS has a set relocation feature but not the IVS2000. There is a dos based mat programming that in the menu has a swap option.

Here is a step by step approach. There may be short cuts but I am not taking any short cuts for the sake of clarity and simplicity. The approach below is not guaranteed to restore all -- only most of the normal phone settings. Some of those it misses will be noted below.

a. Find out the len number of each phone.
CM F52>FNNN Recall (FNNN= digital station number. for analog, just put in the number)

Also you may want to find out where the phones are forwarding. The later versions of the IVS have E600 ~ E603 to forward stations. The forwarding will not be retained.

For this example, you found the stations to be in slots 0000=200
0001=201
0002=202

You want the end result to be:
0000=202
0001=200
0002=201

b. Go to the len number and erase the station.

10>0000:F200>CCC

c. Make sure to record the station back into a vacant slot. This way, NEC will restore most of the setting. I cannot stress this enough.

10>0450:NONE>F200

d. Go to the next len number and erase the station.

10>0001:F201>CCC

e. Record the station back again.

10>0451:NONE>F201

f. Go to the len number and erase the station.

10>0002:F202>CCC

g. Record the station back again.

10>0452:NONE>F202

h. Now put the stations back where they belong.

10>0450:F200>CCC
10>0001:F200>EXE
10>0451:F201>CCC
10>0002:F201>EXE
10>0452:F202>CCC
10>0000:F202>EXE

Now restore the voicemail light
1303>200:1>0 EXE
1303>201:1>0 EXE
1303>202:1>0 EXE

Restore the forwarding.

tenxten,

CTVI gives you the programming steps but there are some things to consider when doing this that are not mentioned.

Such as are these stations part of a HUNT, UCD or Pick up group? If so this programming must be removed prior to do as CTVI stated.

Also what about button programming it would be wise to check the programming against those stations at this time before moving them.

Good luck on your moves.
Mextera

Mextera

I have gone through this myself (IT guy thrown a NEC 200IVS responsibility)

I just move the extensions on the punch-down block next to the switch. No programming needed.

The only bad thing I could say about this is it changes the original NEC installers' design. You may have a whole department or floor all in the same sequence of LENs.
But I just don't care about that anymore.

I just keep a spreadsheet with each extension's info.
LEN | EXTENSION | DID | LOCATION | FEATURE CODES | etc . . .

CAT MODE
xfer --> conf --> star --> xfer --> conf --> pound

Why not just move crossconnect from len to len
or patch panel port to patch panel port?

I was expecting something not so complex. Is that really how I have to reassign an extension to a new phone via the software/programming method?

If all else fails I can start screwing around with punch downs and see how I screw that up.

But what I was hoping for was something less complex.
I thought the sort of reply I would see might be something like

you cant reassign an extension, you first have to un assign it and then you goto a new station(phone) and assign it there. And here are those commands

At the old phone do this
unassign #5 $4 00 xyz 9188

at the new phone do this
assign @5 @3 *8 abc 9188

See thats the sort of thing I thought I would be getting into.

Does anyone know of something like that?? Of course a swap command would be sweet, but I will be glad to learn and do the actual extenstion and the virtual exentions all manually for each station. As long as EACH extention isnt 12 commands each, I am sure I could learn it and do it right.

anyway - I thank all of you who have posted replies so far. I hope you arent insulted that my noobness makes complex answers out of reach.

TenXten

Mextera,

You are correct. I knew it missed some stuff but did not remember all. I am sure there are some more: I did note " The approach below is not guaranteed to restore all -- only most of the normal phone settings. Some of those it misses will be noted below."

Anyway, the point was made clearly: For a noobie, it is better to try messing up the cross connects than swapping stations.

Swapping stations is not so complex, Tenexten, if you have the correct tools. There is a dos based software that will do the swaps for you. The hunting, call pickup and message lights will still be an issue.

If swapping stations is a common affair, try upgrading to the IVS2. Set relocation was introduced on the IVS2. Then, all you need it to do is type in a feature code. In addition, the IVS2 has a windows based gui software that was developed for it. You can then swap stations easily.

I know that the IP based phone system use the difficulty in swapping stations as part of their ROI study. But the newer tdm phones have either the feature code or gui based software that can do it too. It is a poor ROI argument for IP.

Moving the cross-connects is the easiest, by far.

You will need the following:
Punch Tool (66/110)
Tone/Probe (sometimes called a Fox and Hound) set.
Cross-connect wire

OK... granted, you don't ***NEED*** the tone/probe, but if you screw something up, it makes life SO much easier.

If your installer did things properly, you should have 3 66-blocks per cabinet; and another set of blocks connected to the office wiring.

Using CMD 10 (or 14) (don't trust the 66-blocks to be labeled properly.... I *never* do), find the extensions that you wish to move, and write down the LENs.

I usually "pull up" the wires on the LEN punch blocks, just so I can see them later.

Then, I'll actually write down the extensions that I want to to go to the lens when I'm done, so if I get confused, it's all written down there.

Then, one at a time, I remove the cross-connect. If it's long enough to go to the new LEN, that's fine. If it's not, I pull it completely out and replace it.

I go from the extension side to the new LEN location; pull off the wire that's on the LEN that's going to be replaced, and punch down my new connect. Then, I take the wire that I just pulled off, and that's the next one I punch down.

If you mess up, and "lose" the wire, then go plug your tone generator into the extension you're trying to find. You can then easily find it on the building-side terminal block.

Meanwhile, here's a tip for you. Rather than dragging the tip of the probe down the 66 block (which can short your phones sometimes), hold the probe in one hand, and run your fingers over the bridge clips (there's not enough voltage to hurt you). You'll hear the tone generator when your fingers touch the clips that the tone is on. It's much faster than dragging the tip over the clips.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly exchanged his dilithium crystals for new Folger's Crystals." -- My Sister
--Greg

CTVI, You give many good suggestions, I was only stating what I remember as things to watch. I did not want to slight your suggestions. They are always refreshing to hear.

tenxten, you will learn that we can remove and reprgram. But why would you if all you need to do is move xconnects.

66 Block in the US.
BIX in Canada
Hey R4Z do they still use Krone in Australia and NZ

What about the UK

Mextera

Krone and some AT&T.

I was staying out of this as I usually just swap extn numbers between lens and get away with it. I've never experienced any problems with pickup groups mainly because I use a dummy number programmed to the first station which frees up that number then when you put that on the next it frees up that one until you complete the circle and the dummy number is finally removed.

Because you never actually delete a station it doesn't screw things up. Call pickup groups however stay with the len so if xxx is moved to yyy's position and yyy was in a pickup group then xxx takes yyy's place in the pickup group. You still have to sort out the keys but as many are in standard positions you don't usually have much to do there.

However if you are moving people around you still haven't finished with the list the poor guy has already got! we've still got to tell him about Cmd 73, Cmd 94 and of course Cmd 77 did I say not to mention Cmd 1212. Also if he deletes the extensions as suggested he will also have to check Cmd 1201 Cmd 1202, Cmd 1204 and Cmd 1213 to name but a few we didn't tell the poor guy about

But don't worry it will all get easier with time. now where did I put those paracetamol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back