Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NAVMSE account problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

buztwet

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
US
For the first time since I took this job, I checked the NAVMSE-<server> account. We use Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.x When I looked at this account in outlook, there were like 5000 emails in it that were just undeliverables from the server. They look like the following:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Norton AntiVirus detected and quarantined a virus in a message you sent.
Sent: 05/11/2004 9:13 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'matthews0296@msn.com' on 05/11/2004 9:13 AM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: xxxxxx 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

What is this? I'm not using this account so how am I getting undeliverables? What is the 'NAV for Microsoft Exchange-<server>' account used for? Can I get rid of it?

Sounds like that account received viruses, Norton picked up on them, quarantined the attachment of the message and then tried to reply to the address said above but since it wasn't legit, then it got sent back to your server with the above message from msn: "mailbox unavailable". Not sure about what the account is used for, probably some type of admin account. There is an option to turn off the feature of sending an email to the person that sent you a virus, which is what happened to you...might want to look into that.

Thanks. Does anyone know how to turn off that feature?

I think the best way to do this is to go into Symantec System Center, then right click on your server->All Tasks->Symantec Antivirus->Client Realtime Protection Options...then click on the Microsoft Exchange tab and you'll see an option to "Send e-mail to sender"...this is what you want to change, you don't want it sending emails to the sender. There is probably a better way or this might not be the area in Symantec that you want, but this is how I dealt with a similar problem. Let me know how it goes.

First the NAVMSE is the service account that is created when installing the corporate edition of Norton/Symantec Anti-virus.
Second tyrobert suggestion is correct if you do not want to send return messages.

We use the NAVMSE account however we did not set up the email account portion.

&quot;evil prospers when good men do nothing”

Can I just delete this email account from the system so I can quit getting emails there or is it somehow functional to NAV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back