Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

N00B question -- need help setting up SDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinringding

Technical User
Aug 28, 2003
US
I am new to the world of Cisco Hardware and am trying to figure out how to set up a VLAN at our corporate office. Our setup consists of a Cisco 2811 Router, PIX 501, and a pair of Dell PowerConnect 3348 switches.

I would like to be able to use Cisco SDM to manage the router's configuration, but can't seem to figure out how to do that. I can connect via Console with no problems, and have downloaded SDM .zip package from the Cisco website, but I can't figure out what the internal IP address is of the router. The internal IP address of the PIX is 192.168.0.1. I know it's a silly question, but I can't figure it out.

Here is the output from Show Run on the 2811:::
------------------------------------------------------------
Current configuration : 1331 bytes
!
version 12.4
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
service password-encryption
!
hostname twtc-router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 5 $1$4d0s$Ywvr3h34MPNy.7tZ7x0wl/
!
no aaa new-model
!
!
ip cef
!
!
!
username admin privilege 15 secret 5 $1$IC2H$C4aw2Gee5s9Cb.jU8d2pk0
!
!
!
!
interface Multilink1
ip address 168.215.163.94 255.255.255.252
ppp multilink
ppp multilink fragment delay 500
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 216.85.198.81 255.255.255.248
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/0/0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
no fair-queue
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/1/0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1
!
no ip forward-protocol nd
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 168.215.163.93
!
ip http server
ip http authentication local
ip http timeout-policy idle 600 life 86400 requests 10000
!
!
control-plane
!
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
privilege level 15
password 7 14391D5A272A253C37
login local
transport input telnet
line vty 5 15
password 7 14391D5A272A253C37
login
!
scheduler allocate 20000 1000
!
end
---------------------------------------------------------

I am also trying to follow the instructions at
to get SDM up and running, but am having issues with some of the commands.

For example, I can't run show webflash:

I get a Invalid input detected at '^' marker. message.

I also cannot add ip http secure-server to the config. I get the same Invalid input detected message.

As you can tell, i'm new to all of this stuff, but a fast learner if someone out there can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!

Get a computer that is in the ssame subnet as 216.85.198.81 255.255.255.248

Then plug it into FE0/0; if you are using a switch in between, it will be a straight cable. If directly into the fe0/0 port of the router, no switch in between, use a crossover cable. The IP address you enter in SDM is 216.85.198.81. Your comp can be .82

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

thanks for the response. I was wanting to do what you suggested, but on FE0/1 but it doesn't seem to be configured. What commands do I need to give the router to "activate" that port?

router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#int fa0/0
router(config-if)#ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
router(config-if)#no shut
router(config-if)#end
router#wr

Then the computer that connects to it needs to be in the same subnet, like 192.168.1.2

/

Building dependency tree

Nice. That's exactly what i was envisioning, just didn't have the confidence to try it out. This is a live corporate router, and the last thing i want to do was potentially knock it offline.

I would like to connect a Wifi Access point to FE0/1 and have it give out 10.x.x.x addresses to potential clients. Will that work, and if so, will it potentially cause any security related issues?

If you make a wifi router into an access point, yes it can be done. Just turn off the dhcp option and plug the wifi switchport into an available switch in your nw. Then put the management IP address for the LAN in the wifi to 10.x.x.x, and dhcp the 10.x.x.x from the router. Anyone in the 10dot nw will see the SSID if you broadcast it (not recommended), or manually enter the SSID. The way the wifi's do the authentication is insecure, though the hash is pretty secure. It is still subject to Wireshark sniffing (Air P-CAP or WS version 4), and Cain hacks. Those are within your network. If you don't broadcast the SSID, then there is a much less chance of someone doing this, but of course only from outside.

/

Building dependency tree

ok, i have configured FastEthernet 0/1 to have the 192.168.1.1 successfully. I plugged the Linksys WRT55G wifi router into the FE0/1 port on the 2811 with an X/O cable.

My question is what this: since the WRT55G is by default an actual router, it is wanting me to configure the Internet Connection Type. The options are Static IP, DHCP, PPPoE, PPTP and Heart Beat Signal. What do I need to configure here?

Then, what do I need to set the Linksys's LAN IP as? 192.168.1.2?

Getting close here! Thanks for your time once again...

ok, so i have configured the Linksys Wireless router in Gateway mode, configured it with LAN IP 192.168.1.2, handing out DHCP addresses between 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.110 and can ping the 2811's FE0/1 interface at 192.168.1.1, however I cannot get online. I've tried an X/0 cable and a regular cat5 cable from the switch ports on the linksys to the FE0/1 port on the 2811 and neither works.

what do I have incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back