Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Music On Hold 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

h4ynd

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2009
US
I have a MICS and the music on hold port is bad. What alternative method do I have to enable Music on Hold

Upon replacement of the cabinet will I have to reprogram or will the programming remain on the software card for the system and call pilot settings?

Never seen one go bad. Maybe it's the amphenol or punch down block? Snap a spare amphenol with bare ends on MOH pair, and test.

"Adversity is Opportunity

Programming is on the MICS, not the software. You could backup programming and restore it to the replacement. I've seen one or two cabinets with bad MOH circuits, and a handful of bad paging circuits. Try amplifying the music input and see if you hear anything. Also try dewey's suggestion. It very well could be a bad amphenol.

Brian Cox
(updated 2-14-09)
(updated 2-16-09)

I've seen 'em blown, too. I usually test with a toner at the block to ensure the port is shot, and not just bad wiring from the MOH source. Double checking the Amphenol is a good idea, too.

Had low volume issues with my CICS....switching tip and ring did the trick.

Also....maybe a problem with the BIX 1A. I did a new install once on a MICS, 8X32. We connected all the trunk lines in, and found that lines didn't work. After a bunch of testing, we thought maybe somehow we got a ground start card instead of a loop start card, but that wasn't the case.

We noticed the lines were dead at the I.T. with the handset...that is, dead until we unplugged them from the input bix field to the KSU. If we connected L1 to co line 1, 2, 3, or 4 input, it worked fine....it's when we started connecting multiple lines we had trouble.

L1 - okay
L1 + L2 connected, both lines became noisy
L1 + L2 + L3, all lines shorted out, none would work
L1 + L2 + L3 + L4, all lines shorted out.

Replaced bix 1A on end of AMP cable and all is well.....talk about a tough day of troubleshooting!

Thanks all for your valuable input. The issue was caused by a bad AMP cable. The pins were not making a connection. Thanks for all your help it is very much apperciated.

Regards,

Hello Yall,
I am not a phone technician, but I work with phone technicians who install our MOH equipment all over the USA. Please forgive me if I'am asking simple questions. I do have three clients with the same exact issue: barely can hear the music on from the MOH port. My questios are:

What is the Amphenol?
What is the AMP cable?

The issue was resolved with two clients by using a volume booster, but the third one is not having any luck.

Thanks for your help

AMP cable is short for Amphenol cable. It's a standardized telephony cable that has 25 pairs of wire. It attaches to the telephone system and punches down on 110/66/Bix blocks and allows the telephone system to connect to the telephone station wiring, telco wiring, paging, and MOH.

"Adversity is Opportunity

Thanks a million Master Dewey...now I know. Is this an expensive part to replace (parts & labor)?

Wow...that's going to make my client very happy...thanks again Master Dewey; you already helped me above and beyond my expectations.
By the way; could you recommend a book, or a technical source to help me get up to speed on troubleshooting telephone system MOH issues and installation tips?
We usually hire technicians throughout the country to install our MOH units...However we do the initial troubleshooting steps before we refer the client to their phone vendor, or dispatch one on their behalf. I just transitioned into this position...which is why I know very little.

Thanks a gain

I don't know of any "how to" manual for MOH. Every phone system is different. Some connect via jumper wire to a block, others use RCA, 1/8" plugs, or a combination of both.

There's usually programming involved on the switch, too. Your best bet is to get a good tech on site if there are issues.

check out
faq799-4980

and there was at least one other FAQ about MOH

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Thanks a lot for the help; I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back