Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mup.sys hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

XWalrus2

Programmer
May 27, 2002
US
My friend's computer hangs on startup. We've determined, through safe mode, that the last file to load before it stops responding is mup.sys. What is the problem, and how can he fix it?
His Specs:
HP Pavilion from about 4 years ago.
Athlon 1Ghz (runs at 993)
384MB RAM (one 256MB and one 128 MB)
everything else is on the mobo, with the exception of a Geforce 2 MX 64MB PCI Graphics card.

Alex Nichol expressed my own view rather well recently in the newsgroups: "MUP.sys just happens to be the last file that gets loaded during boot (as you will see if you boot a healthy system to Safe Mode).

So all you can say is that *something* is going wrong in the initialisation period after that. One distinct possibility is a video driver problem (it will be *some* driver), so I suggest booting into Safe Mode and running MSConfig.exe. In its BOOT.INI page check /BASEVIDEO and reboot to normal mode. If that comes up OK, look for
updated video drivers from the maker's site (do *not* use ones from Windows Update)"

Trust me on this one: it is not a problem with MUP.SYS

Do you actually have access to Windows either by Safe Mode or Normal Mode? Is this hang a temporary or permanent one?

What software has been installed prior to this problem starting? Software may be conflicting with windows or with other software. Common causes are Anti Virus and Security type programs or CD Burning programs.

If you can get access to Windows, follow "Bcastner's" advice.

If you have no real access try these.

See if you can use the "Last known good configuration" option from the Safe Mode startup screen.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Try the ChkDsk /r command from Recovery Console. Check out the other commands available to you from Recovery Console too.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back