Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiuser problems...can't find on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerbouchard

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2002
US
The form I created works fine for one person, it's VFP 5.0 and a 1-to-many generated form.

When second user tries to access it they get the error--
Error 1705 File: (path to temp file on the second users computer) Another user may be closing or reindexing.

In the dataenvironment of the form BeforeOpenTables I added:
SET EXCLUSIVE OFF
SET REPROCESS TO AUTOMATIC

I also changed the buffering mode to 2 for the form.

But I still get the error.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!!

To get the best performance, each user should use a CONFIG.FPW that points the FoxPro temp files to their local drive. e.g.
Code:
*CONFIG.FPW
tmpfiles=c:\foxtemp
sortwork=c:\foxtemp
editwork=c:\foxtemp
progwork=c:\foxtemp
Rick

I don't like to argue with what is a valid point but a better approach would be for each user to have their own copy of the exe on their own PC. That also removes the possible conflict with the FoxUser resource file.

Geoff Franklin

Geoff,
No arguement - even without a separate .EXE on the local system (I always recoomend that kind of setup - it reduces network traffic), they can have a local resource file (FOXUSER.DBF), by including this line in that CONFIG.FPW!
resource=c:\foxtemp\foxuser.dbf

Rick

Do you guys mean that there needs to be a config.fpw at everyone's desk.

This was an addon to an already existing program, that already downloaded temp files to the users workstation.

This is one of the reasons the whole thing is so strange to me. But I'm still learning so what do I know.

I take a different approach, and try to get rid of the resource file!
This is documented for VFP 6 or higher, and may works in version 5:
Make a Config.fpw containing this line:
RESOURCE = OFF
Include that file in the project.
VFP will look for a Config.fpw from the project first. And it must have that name.

Andy Rice
San Diego, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back