Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiplication with shift and add

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashfaq2419

Programmer
May 24, 2011
IT
dear friends,

i am implementing a structure, in which i have to do some multiplications and additions/subtractions. for multiplication i am using shift-add technique e.g. if my input number is 'a' and it has to be multiplied by 51, i simply do it like (a<<5)+(a<<4)+(a<<1)+a. but the problem is with the sign. e.g. a=-32 and i am using 10 bits to represent it.

now the question is that i know that the multiplicand is always positive i.e. 51, but input number can either be positive or negative. how can i manage this thing so that the sign of the output is always correct. please guide me in detail and i have tried a lot to understand the phenomenon but to no avail.

regards

Hi
Can you please provide some code? What is the width of a signal for the result.
I dont think you will get better result by coding it by hand. Synthesizers nowadays will infer constant coefficient multiplier efficiently. I would try this:

library ieee;
use ieee.numeric_std.all;
constant c : unsigned(5 downto 0) := to_unsigned(51, 6);
signal a : signed(9 downto 0);
signal y : signed(15 downto 0);
begin
y <= a*c;

Sorry there's a mistake. The code should be:

library ieee;
use ieee.numeric_std.all;
constant c : signed(6 downto 0) := to_signed(51, 7);
signal a : signed(9 downto 0);
signal y : signed(16 downto 0);
begin
y <= a*c;

there's always a little confusion with signed/unsigned arithmetic ;) Never mix signed/unsigned like i did :D
If you want to stick with your initial description im not sure for now. But like in my case maybe extending the constant with leading 0 will help. You would have 10bit and 7bit operands, result will be 17 bit wide.

I checked implementation on Spartan3 FPGA, you will get 47 LUT's (4-input) with description above. Its pretty cheap ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back