Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple SSCs on different servers cause problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalecooper

Technical User
Nov 5, 2002
DE
I used the SSC on two different servers today to solve the other issue I posted here.

One of them resides on a primary server, the other on a secondary. I did a lot of configuration changes using the SSC on the secondary server. Later I checked something using the SSC on the primary server and to my surprise the clients in this SSC didn't have their "virus found" state cleared, although I had definitely done that.

Should I always use the SSC on the primary server? Shouldn't information changed with any SSC effect the whole installation? *sigh*

Common issue. You need to clear it on both servers. It's a bit of a pita, but there it is.

I pretty much never use the SSC on the main server. I do it from my workstation.

I don't think it matters which you use, but I agree that virus status clearing thing should replicate.
[soapbox] =============
Mens et Manus
=============

You mean, it's actually a feature, not a bug? *lol*
You wouldn't happen to know what to do if the icons for servers, clients et al in one of the SSCs are not showing up?

Lets see, several things
This can be a problem with the environment. Use the following steps to check the most common problems with the environment:

1. Make sure the Intel Ping Discovery Service (Intel PDS) is started. In some cases stopping and restarting the service will resolve SSC issues.

2. Stop and restart the Symantec System Center Discovery Service. Click Start, click Settings, click Control Panel, Click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.
3. Stop and then restart the Norton AntiVirus server.

Try to rerun the discovery service in the SSC.

That's all I can think of off the top. Let me know how you make out. =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Ahem...Please forgive me, since may statement may not have been precise enough. What I meant to say was that although the machines are listed, the tiny icon in front of each machine name is the Windows default icon, not the one depicting a small PC. Only in the right-hand pane though, the left pane is fine.

Sorry, I've never seen that before. I did a quick look in the Symantec KB, but couldn't find anything there.

Looks like you need to make a call to Symantec Support. [sad] =============
Mens et Manus
=============

Thank you very much. I know the Symantec KB myself, of course. I wouldn't dare to ask something here that could easily be found by a simple Google or Knowldegebase query <s>

My new task is to get a secondary server in a different location to recognize its primary and get its definitions from it. At present it refuses to do that.

I'm in Germany btw. Do you mind to tell me where you're at? The U.S.?

You got it. I'm here in the good ol' USA. Omaha, NE to be exact. Though I'm originally from NY NY.

Personally, I never mind answering anything I can. While many things can be answered from KB's, a lot of them often require additional information or help. Also, when the press is on, it's nice to get the quick and direct help as opposed to having to search 100's of search results.

Any time I've installed to secondary servers I've done it through the primary servers SSC, using 'AV server rollout'. Is this how you've done it?

=============
Mens et Manus
=============

NY NY, huh? I've been there twice already, it's sort of my favorite American city so far. But Omaha sounds cool, too <s>

Anyways: I have no idea how this secondary was installed. I &quot;inherited&quot; this whole installation so to speak and now I have to find my way through it. It's a new job as security guy since Nov. 1st.

I found a KB article at Symantec that explains how to get a secondary to recognize the new primary, I'll try that out.

Have a nice weekend!
Ralf

Omaha is a LOT different than NY. It is a nice little city though.

If that KB article doesn't do it, you could always just do a rollout from the primary. I would unistall NAV from the secondary first though. What is the KB#, I would love to read it.

How many servers/workstations are you overseeing? You have my sympathy, having inherited systems I have an idea of what you are going through.

Good Luck! =============
Mens et Manus
=============

The KB article number is: Document ID:2000111511174348, it's called &quot;Some secondary servers do not receive virus definitions after assigning a new Primary Server&quot; I've not yet tried the tips contained therein, though.

Did you see my other posting about NAV notifying us of virii in its own quarantine directory? What's your take on that? Took me a couple of days to figure that out :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back