Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Domains but one exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurgen

Programmer
Feb 8, 2001
BE
Can you manage multiple domains with one exchange server
ex
mydomain1.com
mydomain2.com
mydomain3.com

But it are 3 different organisations

Or do you really have to setup 3 exchange servers, but than we've to buy more licenses you see...

Regards

Jurgen

Jurgen,
what version of Exchange are you using? Are you using standard edition or enterprise edition. To answer you question yes you can host multiple domains but it gets a bit tricky with the standard edition meaning you can use your exchange box as a bridge head where you get e-mail on
mydomain1.com
mydomain2.com
mydomain3.com
but if you set mydomain1.com as the default org all e-mail will go out as mydomain1.com you'll get e-mail on mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com but will not be able to send e-mail as mydomain2.com and mydomain3.com the only way that i know how do it is by creating another user id for mydomain2.com or mydomain3.com and setting up the mailbox.

If you have enterprise edition it so much easier!!! all you have to do is create a storage group each domain anyhow hope it makes sense if not just e-mail me and maybe i can assit you.

I'm using the enterprise version of exchange 2003

Jurgen,
it should be pretty straight foward then just create different storage groups

It all depends on how seperated you want to keep things.
If thos 3 organisations, whatever they are, have no problem residing on the same server, it can be as simple as adding their domain names to the Default Recipient Policy.
For user account, in AD, make sure only the appropriate users get the respective smtp-address.
The plus: 1 server
Drawback, the admin(s) have access to all of course.
Also, the GAL will by default list ALL addresses.

If that is not an issue, then you don't have to spend more money then needed. Just make sure all organisations are aware to cover yourself.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Hi There

I have the same problem .i.e ihave 2 domains but the only differance is that i have exchange standard edition i windered if anyone could give me some advice. To recap i have exchange standard edition and i have 2 domains
domain1.com inbound and outbound mail
doamin2.com purley inbound mail
I want to use just one mail server

Many thanks for looking at this thread

As expained above, just add the second domain to the Default Recipient Policy

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

We have the Standard Edition (Exch2k3)& 2 domains with domain1 as primary, send/receive & with domain2 just receive.
We've just purchased the upgrade for Enterprise Ed. (to correct that pesky 16GB database size limit) & now I'm wondering, will Enterprise Ed enable our users (by setting up a storage group for each domain) to send & receive e-mails for both domains in Outlook 2002?

Thanks,

Matt

Of course, each will have 2 mailboxes, so they act like 2 different users, send and receive.
In Outlook, you either create 2 seperate profiles (one for each domain) or you create the main one and Add the other mailbox to it. In the second case, they have to choose from what Domain account they want to send from.
(In Outlook - Open a new message and click View - From Field)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]
Have a look at the shop @ !

i seen this thread and got a new hope of light:
have win 2003 server, with exchange 2003 standard
2 domains: domain1.com and domain2.com
send AND receive from both

i currently only have domain1.com setup on that machine,
and had the second one setup to receive e-mail, but i need to be able to send from both

if i read the above correctly it would be easier for me to get the enterprise edition of exchange to send and recieve?
is there a white paper or somewhere i could look to get a more detailed explination of how i would go about setting both domains up once i had the enterprise installed?

the domains (companys) dont care that they are on the same server, and have equal rights to each others documents, one side is the contract negotiatiors the other side is the purchasing and distribution.......they go hand in hand

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

--"WOW-- What a Ride!"

There is no difference in stting up multiple domains on a standard or enterprise version.
All the above would still apply.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

So there isn't a way to have multiple domains both sending and receiving from one single Outlook prifile? There HAS to be one profile/Exchange user account per fully-functioning (send&receiving) e-mail address?

Thanks,

Matt

Without third party software, yes, that is it.

Marc
[/sub]

Okay, so I've added the second domain to my default recipient policy, & all employees now have their main e-mail address user@company1.com with a second SMTP address of user@company2.com. How do I create separate e-mail accounts for user@company2.com for employees to log into?

Thanks,

Matt

ive added the second domain address to the policy too but im only able to recieve mail to that account, i am un-clear as to what needs to be done to send out from that account....

Re-read above, without thirs party software, or some deep-programing, you nee to create a second user and mailbox. You do NOT add the second SMTP address to the existing user.

Marc
[/sub]

Marc,

I'm fairly clear on what will not work, thanks; I have read & re-read the above. So if I don't add domain #2 to the default recipient policy, how exactly will this second user I create send and receive from the second domain and not the first?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

No, that is not what I said.
You MUST add the domain to the recipient policy, just NOT to that user's properties (you may have to manually remove it).
You can leave it though, just as long as the second mailbox does not require the same SMTP address for that user.

Marc
[/sub]

so add the second domain to the policy, and then create a user and only have it referance the second domain e-mail, and i will be able to send and receive?

so i would have both domains in the recipient policy

i would have a user created and it would referance user@domain1.com, able to send AND receive?

i could then create a second user account and it would referance the user@domain2.com account, able to send AND receive?

just as long as user@domain2.com is NOT referanced in the first user account?

i think i got it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back