Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multiple Domains but one exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurgen

Programmer
Feb 8, 2001
BE
Can you manage multiple domains with one exchange server
ex
mydomain1.com
mydomain2.com
mydomain3.com

But it are 3 different organisations

Or do you really have to setup 3 exchange servers, but than we've to buy more licenses you see...

Regards

Jurgen

So do we create a second Exchange Mailbox Store for the second domain? Or will it work with just the first storage group specified in the new user properties?

I'm really close to getting this...

i think you dont have to do anything with the mailbox stores

just add the domain(s) to the recipient policy

then go to the AD user properties and in the e-mail address tab, make sure the appropriate e-mail address(domain) is added to that list and made the primary, remove any un-used address from that list, and apply,
make sure to uncheck the automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy

other wise it will add all the domain address back to the list of emial addresses

when they logon they will use the orig domain with the user name, but when you deal with the e-mail it will only pull info for the domain that you left active for that user

if you wanted to you could leave all the domains setup for every user, and they could recieve email from all domains but they will ONLY respond out as the domain you have set as primary (determined in AD)

yeah that make since........doesnt it? lol

I would have a user created and it would referance user@domain1.com, able to send AND receive?

i could then create a second user account and it would referance the user@domain2.com account, able to send AND receive?

just as long as user@domain2.com is NOT referanced in the first user account?

Yes, that's it

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Have a look at the shop @ !

Aha! It works exactly as you say. Sorry it took me so long to understand!!

Matt [2thumbsup]

You're welcome

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
[/sub]

rock on! thanx a lot marcs41[2thumbsup]
wanted to make sure is this a correct statement?

if you wanted to you could leave all the domains setup for every user, and they could recieve email from all domains but they will ONLY respond out as the domain you have set as primary (determined in AD)

My experience supports that statement as true. I left the second domain on all users except the one for whom I created the second dedicated user account. So all my other users can now receive mail to both domains but only reply using the primary; that one employee can send from both, using multiple Outlook profiles.

That is indeed correct johng75, as Jovah found out by now.

Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back