Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Project 2003- Sort schedule by Resource name

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxarox

Technical User
Aug 11, 2011
US
Hello:

I am a general contractor. Our typical schedule has several sections i.e. Pre construction, Submitals, Procurement, Site work, Foundations, Building shell, Finishes. After the Subcontracts are awarded, each Subcontractor is set up as a resource.
Each Sub will have activities in several sections, for example, ABC Electrical Contractors, under submittals, procurement, site work, Building shell and finishes.
I want to sort the schedule so that Each sub can see the dates and activities they are required to perform on the project. So under ABC electrical we would see:
ABC Electric submit fixtures 1/1/11 to 1/15/2011
ABC Electric order Fixtures 1/15/11 to 3/5/2011
ABC Electric install site underground 4/10/11 to 4/18/11
ABC Electric install building rough in 3/15/11 to 6/21/11
ABC Electric install fixtures and trim 9/10/11 to 10/21/11

using sort> resource name; only sorts under each project sub section.
I want to produce a report that shows the expected dates that ABC electric and all other subs will be required on the project. This was a snap in early versions but I can't figure it out in 2003.
Please help

You have a couple of choices:

- Look at the Resource usage view which automatically organizes things by resource, then by assignments

- Apply the built-in "Using Resources" Filter to filter for each resource using the Gantt chart view.

- Look at the Task Usage view and apply a custom group to group the assignments by resource name.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thanks for the reply, Julie. I tried both of these before I posted and they don't yield the results I am looking for. The results I was able to get in the past laid things out just like they appear in the Task View, but all the tasks are grouped by resource.

The results I was able to get in the past laid things out just like they appear in the Task View, but all the tasks are grouped by resource.
That's what Resource Usage view does. What do you want in your view that is different than Resource Usage view?

--Lilliabeth

Go to Resource Usage View, Right-click on a column name and insert Column. Choose one of the date columns, then insert the other dte col

--Lilliabeth

Lill:

The resource usage view, at least on my computer, does not provide the start and finsh dates for eash activity, but rather a day by day listing of work projected out to infinity.
Sub contractor's eyes glaze over when presented with a 300 item schedule. I want to provide them a view that shows all of their start and finish dates w/o making them hunt through the Gantt Chart with a highlighter.

Thanks for your help all:

I have it figured out.

Using the resource usage view I inserted the Start and Finish Columns, by right clicking, the column heading area,selecting insert column and selecting "start" and "Finish". I then right clicked on the "Detail Styles" portion of the page (page right) and hid the information I didn't need to see.
Then I highlighted the columns (page left) that I didn't need by right clicking the column heading, then selected "hide column"

This left me with the activities sorted by sub, and the start and finish dates.

Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back