Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moving out east and sec. clerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

techwriter56

Technical User
Mar 26, 2002
US
I have had it woth CA. I have spent two decades in programming but now I can't get an interview. I have decided
to move back east, specifically to DC. I am a naturalized US
citizen, and hope to get into some projects that require experience and they want an american instead of a sample from the third world. My question is how to get sec. clearance or even approach the subject. I have been a contarct engineer for the last 14 years, and have consequently moved around a lot. If I can't get the clearnace I may go to NYC metro instead. At this point I take any old contract - I just want to work.
Any ideas? Anyone already have sec. clerance?

Sorry to tell you but I don't think getting a security clearance on your own is possible. Security clearances may take over a year to process and cost a company about $20,000. I have a clearance and even the "bring-up's" (ie. renewing the clearance) takes months to go through the system - even longer if you've moved around, are related to foraign nationals, etc.

Don't give up hope of DC though. There is a shortage of US persons and you may find a company who will hire you w/o the clearance and then do the processing. I've heard that this is happening with several companies.

E.

I had a Top Secret clearance, and a company in Virginia was VERY interested in moving me out there to work for them until they found out the clearance had expired.
Most companies do not want to incur the cost of a clearance if they can avoid it. Given the current market conditions, there are probably many IT workers with current clearances who are out of work; consequently, I'd estimate your chances at slim to none right now.

I don't think you can get a security clearance on your own. As far as I know, you have to have a need for it (ie, working on a contract that requires it, or working for a company that requires clearance) before you can get a security clearance. I do not believe that people can just decide to get clearance and fill out the proper forms and be awarded clearance. I may be wrong though.

what percentage of the jobs in dc area require clearance?
70-80 ?

My guess is only those that deal with defense/ intelligence communities. I would doubt that ones that work for agriculture, education, etc wuld have that requirement.

Manly (as nontrad stated) government based jobs or companies under government contracts require security clearance. Many companies don’t require one. However, some companies will do an extensive criminal background check as well as a credit check to determine candidacy. Dont just look for jobs that are goverment. Many private companies may pay better or have better benifits. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back