Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Move Mailbox Wizard hosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bk94

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2001
US
Hello Everyone

I have a wonderfull headache i am hoping you help me out with. Everytime I try and move a mailbox, it craps out and display a message that the MAPI provider failed. When I check the event log it spits out MAPI failed to open the the message store. I also get failed to get an adminstrative interface to the mailbox store.

The mailbox store is mounted. There are no events regarding services not starting up on boot. I am at lost here. Any help is greatly appericated. I have also tried every fix on Technet that relates to this issue.

Thanks,
BK

I forgot to mention that this is E2K SP2 on w2K SP2

Are you trying to move the mailbox to another store on the same server or to another server?

Install ESM on a DC. Then try the move from the DC. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Nope. It still throws event ID's 9175, 9167, & 1008.

The error I get in the event logs is always 8004011d-0512-00000000

On to another server. I am upgrading from 5.5 to 2000. Moving mailboxes off the 5.5 to 2000.

You are using AD Users and Computers to move right? Have you confirmed that the ADC is working as expected? Two-way connection agreement?

The error looks familiar. Reply and I'll check at work tomorrow. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

I've confirmed the ADC is working properly. The fix from Technet says make sure the Information Store strated and that the mailbox store mounted. Both are fine, which leaves me at loss.

Excuse me, while i bang my head against the desk some more.....

Is this one mailbox or all. If it is one, make sure it is not hidden in 5.5. Try closing The ESM before you move the mailbox.

It's all of them. I closed the ESM and I still get the same result.

And none of the mailboxes are hidden.

Try giving the account that is running the ADC service account permisions on 5.5. All three levels.

No luck. Still get the same message.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: MAPI Session
Event ID: 9175
Date: 6/11/2002
Time: 1:58:06 PM
User: N/A
Computer: SAKIC
Description:
The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.
The MAPI provider failed.
Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

For more information, click

I'm using the Domain Admin account, so it shouldn't matter. But it's a memember of every group on the Network.

Check your group membership. Remove yourself from the exchange domain server group. I added myself to one of these groups and got the same error. If not that one also try enterprise admins.

Nope. It didn't like that either.

How about the group membership of the account that runs the ADC. I think it was schema admins and enterprise admins.

Checked, and it is part of it.

To make this more frustrating, I didn't change anything before I left last night. I looked thru the log file and it did an online defrag of the database. So for giggles, I tried one more time to move a mailbox this morning and it worked. I was able to move one mailbox and that was it. I don't get it.

If you have multiple DC and you make a change to one, you will sometime see a latency when you change group membership.
I always change any permissions on the same dc that exchange points to.

At least it works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back