Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse/Pointers/Scheme...Dropdown Menue Lost 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

podunkalley

Technical User
Feb 1, 2005
US
Sometime in the past two months, I have lost the ability to change my POINTER SELECTION. It appears that I have lost my
Pointer scheme Dropdown Menue (Mouse Properties). When I select
it, I get a choice of two, NONE or the current pointer setting that I am presently using, and no others. I have checked my hard drive, and found the Windows cursor file, and all of the various cursors are there...But being new at this, I don't know how to get my dropdown menue to restore, if posible......
Can anyone point me in the right direction.... Thank You
PDA

Check your mouse setup. You might have to uninstall mouse,then install again.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

In reference to my posting of 2/27/05.... If I uninstall my touchpad driver, to reinstall same...How do I control my computer to complete the reinstall, I have no CD to Autoload from, my laptop came preloaded.....

Good question........... If you delete the touchpad from Device Manager,THEORTICALLY the OS should find it on reboot and reinstall the drivers.
I would download the drivers from the pc vendor before deleting the device.
If I understand your last post;you have no CD's for OS and drivers ?

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Sorry for the response delay (medical)....
What you are suggesting is to download current driver(s) on top of the current driver(s), that are presently there ?
If current Driver(s) are corrupt, will new download repair/replace/remove existing driver(s)???

If I set a restore point prior to new driver download,will this enable me to "backup"? OR Can I download new driver to a DIFFERENT point on my HD and if it corrects the problem, I can go ditch to old corrupt installation?

Sorry for all the ????, I'm new ... PDA

I may be way off base but, If all you are wanting is to have diferant choices for the pointer then uninstalling your mouse will do you no good.

Go to control panel, click on add/remove programs, left side click add\remove windows components.

Highlight accessories and utilities and click details, highlight accessories and details again, put a check in mouse pointers. Click ok, ok and next. Pointers should be reloaded.

Thanks, but when I left click on add/remove programs I am not given accessories and utilities option, let along details for it.....I am running XP home, I tried all comb's.
But your right in what I'm trying to do......RESTORE MY POINTERS SELECTIONS.....I really thought you had the answer..
Frustration....Thanks again... PDA

on the left hand side of the add/remove programs box you should see add/remove windows components click on it and it will bring up a new box with all the components. It's the same for all builds of windows.

Your right...followed your sugestion..
still no dropdown menue under Mouse Properties (Pointers Tab), it presently shows Windows Inverted (Extra Large)>>>Dropdown shows me None or the selection I just described, and no others.

Question: Would a download of the SYNAPTIC TOUCHPAD DRIVER(S)
cause this problem ??? Sometime back I lost the
Touchpad Icon in my tool tray, and was advised to go
the Synaptic website and download current driver(s)
which I did and regained icon, but I beleive I lost
the mouse dropdown menue prior to touchpad download.
My memory fails me. I appreciate your time and
trouble.... PDA

Dear William,

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I see that the steps suggested in the previous mail did not work.

At this point, I suggest you to restore Windows XP using the following
steps:

1. Turn on the computer.
2. Press the F8 key repeatedly when the red Compaq logo appears. The
Windows Advanced Options menu opens.
3. Press the down-arrow key until Safe mode-Command Prompt Only is
highlighted.
4. Press Enter and continue through any informational screens that
pop-up.
5. When the command window opens, type: c:
6. From the C:\> prompt type: cd c:\windows\system32\restore
7. Press ENTER and then type: rstrui
8. Press ENTER. The System Restore screen will appear.
9. Click Restore my computer to an earlier time and then click Next.
10. Click a date and a restore point and then click Next.
11. Click OK if a pop-up window about closing programs appears. A
Confirm Restore Point Selection window opens.
12. Click Next. The computer should shut down and turn back on by
itself after the restoration completes. The Restoration Complete
window appears.
13. Click OK. The computer has now been restored to a previous time
when it functioned correctly

I received this procedure from HP.....I have no XP CD to
restore from, didn't get one with laptop,and XP home preloaded....Being new, I am a little scared to try this fix....my system restore appears to be working ok, and I don't know how one can restore XP without a "CD"....am I wrong..... Looking for some guidance..... PDA

Being HP clears up a bunch for me. I hate HP and Compaq. System restore works if you have a solid restore point. If, and I say again IF HP created a restore point when the loaded XP you could go back to that point. The problem with that is that all programs that you have loaded AFTER the restore point was created will most likely no longer work.

Even HP (in there stupidity) should have sent a “Restore Disk” Even at that, you most likely have two (logical not physical) hard drives. A C: drive and a D: drive, D: being the ever coveted “restore drive”

Basically what it boils down to is this, you don’t have a XP Home Disk, the restore disk that was shipped with your comp was either lost or you have no idea where it is and it wouldn’t matter because it most likely only points back to your D: drive so you are still screwed.

So your only options are this. Try a restore point, if you are lucky it will work. Or you can get a copy of XP Home OEM use your key wipe it and reload to get rid of all the HP crap.

Being a Retiired Navy CPO...I like a person that gets right to the "meat and taters"....I thought I was being sent down the ole primrose path.....Just call it a good guess.

But I have found the quickrestore disks, a set of 4, neatly package with other disks, which led me to beleive all the disks were part of the tutorial for the overall computer....OLD AGE!!

I have tried system restore, on help...
I tried just about all that hp has suggested, no help...
I have never did a OS reinstall, and do admit I am a little
apprehensive....
I have heard some real horror stories, when personnal data
is reinstalled....
But I guess "No Guts, No Airmedals"....I Guess
PDA

Where does an ole retired sailor aquire a window XP Home OEM
disk ??? And being new, I do nt understand what you mean by
"use your key wipe it", the install I get, but I am not clear on what I should save? I have seen it done on TV, and they speak of all kind of settings etc. along with all your personnal stuff, I must sound like a real _____ ! But I am truthful..... PDA

No problem. I’m Air force so I know what you mean. If you found the restore disks, then, lets try something first. Put the first one in and let it auto start. You are looking for an xp installation disk. When it starts you will see a blue box that reads

“Welcome to Windows XP Home

What do you want to do?
Install Windows XP
Learn more about the setup process
Install optional windows components
Perform additional tasks
Check system compatibility”

You want to choose
“install optional windows components”

next box

you should see accessories and utilities
highlight and click details
next box
highlight accessories and click details again

aaaaaaaa bull

just do this

go here

save this file to your desktop
unzip it and put the folder under

C:/windows

It will ask if you want to replace
Say yes
Now you will have your pointers
No fuss no muss

Oops, that wont do you any good. Forgot that you already have the pointers you just want the schemes. Stand by a few.

O.K. easy fix

go here

save this file to your desktop
unzip it and put the folder under

C:\windows

It will ask if you want to replace
Say yes
Now you will have your pointers
now
look in that folder under
C:\windows\cursors
In that folder you will find a cursor.reg file that I put in there
Double click on that file and tell it yes you want to ad info to registry
Now go to control panel
Click on mouse
Pointers
All defalt windows schemes should be there
No fuss no muss

Did computer search and here is what I have now.....
CURSORS C:\WINDOWS\LastGood FILE FOLDER 12/28/2004 TIME
CURSORS C:\WINDOWS FILE FOLDER 12/28/2004 Time
(When opened above files, look the same, all the schemes
appear to be there)
DSCURSORS.Class com/ms/directX 1KB CLASSFile 8/26/1997 Time
CURSORSHAPE.Class com/ms/win32 1KB CLASSFile 2/28/2003

This is what my computer shows is loaded at present...I thought it might help.....I know the problem is minor,and I can't see why I can't just use what I got to replace what came up missing...and on that point, I have given it a lot of thought, and I think the info disappeared right after I did a WINDOWS UPDATE,one that requires you to restart ones computer for it to install...I'm almost positive on that.
Don't know what good that will do either, I guess I'm getting frustrated, I spent a lot of time getting my WIRELESS Connection to work right, and now that it is SMOKEN, I just want to enjoy.... PDA

Did you ever think of changing your handle to "THE GODFATHER",
need I say I worked like a champ....I really don't know what to say, I went and checked my hard drive, boy was there things missing, I think the one that did the trick was the "dll", it was not there earlier, and I do beleive WINDOWS did it to me.
I am really appreciative....My major shortcoming is the manipulation of software, always has been....My sincere thanks,
you made an "OLE GRANDPA", very happy.....All you that tried to help,or thought of trying, I appreciate that too!!!
This is one H___ of a site!...For me I am batting 1000%, three out of three,You can't get better then... MY THANKS TO ALL,
ESPECIALLY POLMafia, he stuck where others bailed....
PoDunkAlley

No problem. Glad I could do something for you. Have fun with it and clean it every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back