Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motherboard will not boot with I7-2700K

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
Works fine with my I3 but with that, it turns on then back off. I have checked to make sure voltage is set right, which it's set to auto detect anyway. Did this while the I3 was in to see what voltage was set at. Gigabyte cpu support shows this cpu is supported by my board. I did get it off ebay but starting to think it's bad. But thought id check on here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

My current specs

Gigabyte z68xp-ud3
Gskill 16GB 1066 ripjaw memory(4 x 4GB sticks)
Intel I3-2120 3.2Ghz
Evga 780TI classified video card
Rosewill 950 watt 80 amp power supply

Let me know if you want anything else.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Works fine with my I3 but with that, it turns on then back off.
What does this mean exactly? It's shutting itself down with the I3? That would be a bad sign. What is it doing with the I7 installed?

There are two revisions - rev. 1.0 rev. 1.3

Is this your processor? Intel Core i7-2700K 3.50GHz 8MB 866 MHz Sandy Bridge 32nm D2 95W

for version 1.0 it's supported since BIOS F10
for version 1.3 it's supported since BIOS F10

So if your BIOS is F10 or beyond, it should work. I would update to the latest BIOS and then reset all BIOS settings to default and try again.

If it doesn't work, it seems likes it's a bad processor or motherboard.
Any other computer you can try the i7 in?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

The I3 works just fine with the board, no problems at all. Just does it with the I7. Should have made that more clear, sorry about that lol. I don't have any other socket 1155 boards, only 775. Will see if a friend has one to test it on.

Bios is already updated to the newest version available. Did that a while back. I think it's the processor just figured id run it by on here for other ideas just in case.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Well.............. if the i3 works with the board without issues, then I would have to blame the i7. Can you put the board with the i3 installed through a torture test to see if it keeps going.

There are a bunch on the Ultimate Boot CD.

Which one did you get off Ebay. Buying from Ebay is not without risk, but there are a majority of good sellers.

I've run many torture test on this thing. Been using it for a while. Games as well just fine. Prime 95 runs with no issues.

There should be an option in the BIOS somewhere to reset everything to defaults. Do that then try the i7 again. If the CPU fan is spinning and it still doesn't work it's likely faulty.

Nelviticus

Yeah I did that as well. Tried all of that. Figured it was bad but always good to get opinions from other techs to be sure. Filled out a form to return or exchange for another one.

Ebay is a crap shoot, I had to return a bad AMD cpu to a guy because it said tested, working pull, but it wouldn't even post the unit I put it in, Got another CPU, worked with no issues, sent it back, and had to have Ebay issue the refund, because even with UPS tracking and them agreeing to take it back, after they had the CPU for 7 days, still no money, Ebay refunded me in 4 hours. And before anyone says "Why I only buy new." This wasn't an option as the cpu I needed hasn't been made for several years.

lol I use ebay as I can generally get things much cheaper. Got a lot of things off of there with no problems, but like with anything, you will run into problems sometimes. So we will see.

I've had 97% success buying on ebay - even electronics and computer stuff. So, no complaints here.

Which device are you returning? The processor or the board?

Returning the I7 as nothing wrong with the rest. Been using this setup for a few years now. Just decided to do some upgrades to push it a while longer lol. That is once I get an I7 that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back