Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most extensions not going to voicemail on no-answer, after changing Class Of Service 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalphNY

MIS
Mar 13, 2013
US
Hello,
One of our locations has a Panasonic KX-TDA100 phone system with a TVA50 voicemail system. When I changed the Class Of Service for a number of extensions from 3 (Long Distance) to 5 (Local Only) most of these extension lost the ability for calls made to them to go to voicemail.

Now, even after I change their COS back, the same extensions still keep ringing when called, internally or externally, and not going to voicemail. They can still check voicmail or change their outgoing voicemail.

The COS of the extensions was the only setting I changed, and I don't understand why the transfer-to-voicemail-on-no-answer stopped working for these extensions.

I also don't know why transfer-to-voicemail-on-no-answer continues to work for the extensions where it does, since I also changed their COS, then changed it back, and don't see any difference between the extension settings.

One extension is VM, and dialing that does connect the users to the voicemail, even if they are having the issue, so it's not like their phones can't connect to that extension.

I had temporarily changed the COS of that VM extension as well, but I changed it back, and the situation is still happening.

The Maintenance Console seems fairly straightforward, but the 'Intercept Destination' tab, in the 'When called party does not answer' section, has nothing filled in for any of the extension, even the ones which can still receive voicemail.

Does anyone have an idea why this is happening/how I could fix it? Thank you so much.

make sure all phones are fwd busy/no answer to ext 500 for line and ext calls

Calls may go to VM via IRNA (the intercept routing you set in the programming software) or EXT forward (something you can see and change for programming, but also user-changeable)
When forwarding is turned off by the user, IRNA destination is used anyway, and the user cannot change that destination.

So check both IRNA in 4.1.1 and the Forwarding in 4.1.2

Regarding COS, check carefully the COS feature settings for the two classes you are talking about, in 2.7.1
Also checj internal call block, to see if calls to the VM port are bloched, but I'm not sure if this can affect this some way.

Did you import the database to a new release? In this case, consider that all forward settings are preserved but deactivated; you should open 4.1.2 and re-enable all the forwarding settings, for each ect, one by one.

This also applies to any kind of call fwd, including fwd all, which is sometimes used for "virtual extensions", and can cause problems after a system upgrade. The fwd destination is saved after the upgrade, and you may reenable it.

yes thats true. but if a irna dest has not been defined then it will never make it to vm with out having fwd b/na set.

Thanks a lot Andrearp and cwc3. It was the Forwarding under 4.1.2 which had been wiped out for most people, apparently when I changed their Class Of Service. I'm still not sure why it remained for only some people.

I ended up setting it up under 4.1.1 instead, so that won't matter if the Extionsion's Forwarding status gets deactivated or wiped if I make another change to user's Class Of Service.

Speaking of that, the reason I had changed their COS was to allow them to make calls to local area codes only, then I wanted to set up authorization codes for each user, which they would dial in order to make a long distance call.

I can set users to be in COS 3, then they can make unrestricted LD calls, but if they are in COS 5, they can only make calls to local area codes listed in the system, and I don't see any way to give them a code to temporarily change their COS to 3, or to otherwise allow them to make an LD call for just this current call.

Could either of you please point me in the right direction? Thanks again, you're the best.

Spoke too soon! Users can only receive voicemail from internal calls, and only when the forward-to-voicemail-on-no-answer is set in Maintenance Console 4.1.2 'Extension FWD/DND'.

After I had set that up, I enabled forwarding to voicemail in 4.1.1, the 'Intercept Destination' tab, in the 'When called party does not answer' section, then I disabled the section 4.1.2 forwarding, and everything appeared to work, at least for a test call, but then this morning no incoming calls were going to voicemail.

I then re-enabled the forward to voicemail on no answer (4.1.2 Ext. FWD-NA to ext 500) for both Internal and External calls, in the Maintenance Console section 4.1.2 Extension FWD/DND, yet now I am only getting forwarded to voicemail when calling the extension internally.

I think this has something to do with the COS interaction.

Try this: backup the DB, then closely compare the two COSes (all pages) to see if you changed some setting other than the ones you really want different from default setting.

Also: did you set TRS to 7?

Also check internal call block, but I don't believe this has any effect on the above.

are the external calls transfered to the extensions or did/ddi, cos will not stop call forward to voicemail.
there are 2 methods. straight away,fwd busy/no answer or no answer to voice mail: method 2, under extension settings intercept no answer to voicemail extension number. if the timer is set to 0 then it will follow system intercept timer which is 40 seconds by default,you can change this to a lower time per extension.

A call has to be directly dialed or transfered to the extension to go to voice mail

I found out that the problem — not being transferred to voicemail on no-answer — is only happening for calls picked up by the operator then transferred to the user's extension.

If I let the auto-attendant pick up (after 4+ rings) then dial the user's extension, and they don't answer, I do get transferred to their voicemail and can leave them a message. I can also leave a message on no-answer, when calling from one extension to the other.

There are two problems remaining:
1. the inability for transferred calls (only) to go into a person's voicemail if that person doesn't answer.
2. The number of seconds/rings it takes for the auto-attendant to pick up.

I do need to fix the transfer to extension so that it goes to voicemail on no-answer, but I'd rather the auto-attendant pick up immediately, then only overflow to the operator if all voicemail channels were occupied. Please help!

p.s. In looking through all the settings of both the phone system and voicemail maintenance consoles, I haven't been able to find the setting to time-to-auto-attendant-pickup.

The Auto Attendant takes about 15-20 seconds/just over 4 rings, to pick up. In the TVA Maintenance Console, the Service Settings > Automated Attendant > "Wait Time for First Digit (0-20s)" is set to 6 seconds— too short to be it, and I would guess this is for after the caller hears the AA voice menu.

The Service Settings > Operator Service > Operator Service for Day > "Operator No Answer Time (10-60s)" is set to 30 seconds— too long to be it, and I suspect this is for after the hears the AA menu and presses 0.

Please tell me where the setting is, and if you have any idea why a call transferred wouldn't go to voicemail, but a call directly dialed both internally and externally would, and how to fix that. Thanks again!

How are the incoming calls pointed to the aa is it dil/ Ddi to 500

What's forward are you using forward both?

Calls are being routed to the Auto Attendant / ext 601 in the DID table. I don't see where ext. 601 is defined, but calls are getting to the Auto Attendant after a 4+ ring delay during which the operator extension is ringing.

I do see that none of the DIL lines going to 601 have an Extension Type checked under 10.2 DIL Table & Port Settings "Destination Settings > DIL Destination". I don't know if that needs to be set, because as I said, it the voice menu is working, it just picks up after too long a delay.

I also don't see why calls transferred from the operator go the extension, but not to their voicemail on no-answer, even though calls both from ext to ext, and directly from the Auto Attendant to the extension do go to voicemail on no-answer.

601 by default is a group. The no answer destnation must be the voicemail and if there is no mailbox for 601 it will be answered by the aa

If you want the aa to answer dil the line to voicemail normally 500

Not sure about last peice you said.
It will go to voice mail if you transfer from a extension but not if from aa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back