Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most bizarre problem in the 10 years I am in the phone business

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronromano

Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
US
We just upgraded a client from a 403 to a 406v2. We reused the two existing DS 16 modutles and an analog trunk 16. We did the uprades as it says in Tip 80. We have replaced the 406 4 times because after a period of time, the audio quality gets worse and worse. It sounds modulated and distorted. If we default the system and start over again, it works fine for a few hours then starts to get bad again.

When you call from phone to phone everything is fine.

We have tried rebuilding the config from scatch and the problem comes back. This has happened on 4 406v2s. We are in the process now of replacing the DS 16s and we have already replaced the trunk 16.

I have never seen anything like this, but hope someone out there has.

Stray voltage on the external ground? The outlet been checked , and has no stray voltaqge etc on the ground wire there either? Nothing connected that is no longer live like an old pots line which has no DT, but still battery?

Network device being plugged into a phone jack? Have seen that take down systems, or modules.

Because I don't see if you have or not.. Did u change the power supply for the 406 v2 with new one.?. the 403 uses a differnt kind of power supply.. and is the system grounded?

I would also isolate the IPO from any peripheral devices possible, like MOH, paging, etc. One at a time.

Thanks to you both for your posts. Just to answer your questions first in no order. The outlet wasn't really checked but we did switch to an outlet in another part of the office, same problem. Only the same lines were connected back to the system. No paging or MOH.

I have to tell you this one was really painful, and I can't tell you exactly what the problem was, just what I did to stop the problem from happening so the system could be used. I also learned a few things about the IPO in the process so this wasn't a total waste of time.

Simply put whenever line 9 on the 16 port trunk module was used for an outgoing call, the problem would start on the next call, incomming or outgoing, and would continue.

Yet we tried every line with our buttset multiple times and line 9 worked fine every time.
So, we took line 9 off the system. Things have worked fine ever since.

Here's the first thing I learned: when you reboot the IPO via manager, the modules reboot but not the way they do when you unplug them and plug them back in!

When the problem would start, we would reboot and the problem would still be there, but if I unplugged the trunk module and plugged it back in it would start to work fine until line 9 was hit again.

Once line 9 was used, the audio quality of each succeeding call would degrade until the phone would ring, but there would be NO audio. It was a telephone system horror movie. You could watch the system die before your eyes.

Here's another interesting thing about the IPO: I knew it grabbed lines kind of like the magix, in a circular fashion from all the numbers in a group. But this was weird, Each time I started testing by making outgoing calls it would start at line 6 or 7 or 12 wherever it started it didn't matter. It would hunt to 16, then go to 2 then hunt up to 4 then go back to 1 then 5. That really through me off. Whats up with that or is that significant in my problem? Who knows.

After we figured out the line 9 thing we pumped out 100+ calls no problems and I have been calling the system all day today, no problems.

Thanks again.

the thing is... with the new v2 i just ran into this problem the other day. The system will work fine on the old power supply until all ports are full. Once they are full it will start bringing the system down. You MAY be expierencing an issue due to using an old power supply and by removing the 1 line it is now circumventing that. Try upgrading your power supply to a new model and plugging that line 9 back in. I bet it works :)

There is no v2 version of a trunk module so I am confused. And I think its still the same power supply. There are no trunks in the 406 as well.

i misread I thought you meant the digital extensions, and I confused myself.. however you may still want to check into the power supply's as i'm not sure if it carries over due to something in programing looking for voltages. I have started using new power supply's on all installs and parts now.

a 403 has a different power suply then the 406v2

Power Supply Unit

Small Office Edition - 45W Earthed Power Supply Unit:
• Input: 100-240Vac, 50/60Hz, 81-115VA, 1.5A maximum.
• Output: 24Vdc, 1.875A, output power 45W maximum.
IP403, 406 V1 & 412 - 40W Non-Earthed Supply Unit:
• Input: 100-240Vac, 50/60Hz, 81-115VA, 2A maximum.
• Output: 24Vdc, 1.875A, output power 45W maximum.
IP406 V2, DS 16/30V2 and Phone 8/16/30V2 - 60W Earthed Power Supply:
• Input: 100-240Vac, 50/60Hz, 81-115VA, 2.5A maximum.
• Output: 24Vdc, 1.5A, output power 60W maximum."

Ron, I am impressed with your knowledge of the IP Office I would look at the voltage on the phone lines.

Does anyone have the manufacturer’s part numbers for these power supplies or ones that are compatible? The ASTEC SA45-3129 is no longer available. Any help is much appreciated.

Ron, any updates you can share on this issue would profoundly appreciate it!, I just posted an almost identical problem today. Do you know if the culprit(root cause)now is the older ungrounded power supply or a bad run of ATM 16's or version 4.0 software or ?

ever since I removed the one line from from the system everything has been fine.

Hi
I Notice that that there is no mention of a ups
is there one might be worth putting one ?

Today I removed a trunk line from port 9 on the analog trunk 16 module, did a hard reboot and moved over the three lines that were in 9-11 to 14-16 (for some strange reason I skipped #5 but probably not important here). I "out of serviced" all unused ports too. The system came back up with normal voice quality. I am using V4 on a 416V2 with the old (straight and plug and ungrounded power supply. My units are commonly grounded. Its been about 5 hours now and the system is still good. My friend in California, by some strange quirk is doing an almost similar system and he had the same problem with quality. skipped nine and put his old none in 16 and his problem went away also, been a day and a half for him. This sounnds like the culprit is the V4.0 binaries update, either the one in the 406V2 on how it talks to the ATM16 or the ATM16 binary. I have not looked for a tech release on this issue yet with Avaya, but hope to post a ticket on this through the vendor and upward to Avaya.

just saw it today
so probably r6wraith did too :)

Are you guys getting notified on this kind of stuff as soon is it comes out? I think Avaya has something like that but I'm not sure.

no i did not have a notification but once in a while i check the avaya support site
it is almost the end of the first quarter so the new software should come in a few days
that is why i checked the site and saw it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back