Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitor losing connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsprogrammer

Programmer
Jun 26, 2006
CA
Hi,

I bought a Toshiba laptop two weekends ago and decided to bring it back cause the hard drive was really loud - it was a Hitachi 200gb h.d. with 2gb memory, AMD 64 Athlon X2 with an OS of Vista. The monitor also went blank right in the middle of doing work and I had to manually reboot the computer to get it back. So when I brought it back I got another one (same brand) cause I wanted to give it another try as I heard that Toshiba's were a good brand. Now the same thing is happening. The hd is really loud - crunching and grinding and the monitor goes - almost like the power is cut to it and I have to power down and restart to get it to come back. Does anyone know why this would be happening? (I checked the battery - it's fully charged and the device manager says that it is working properly) Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks Greatly! VSprogrammer

I'd mark it somehow (a dab of nail polish inside the battery cover?), and send it back. If they DO send a different one back with the same problem, you will know it. Is it possible to go to a dealer and try a similar unit to see if they are ALL that loud? Is it the hard drive that is so loud, or the CPU cooling fan spinning at top speed because of a heating problem?

Hey Micker377,

Thanks for the reply! When I brought back the first one I made sure that it stayed in front of me when she went and got the second one. It is the HD but the fan is also loud, kicking in and out. I think that I might just bring it back and get my money back and get a different brand - do you know if Sony is a good brand name for laptops?

Thanks again!
Have a great day!
VSprogrammer

My son has has at least two Sony laptops over his time as a student. They handled the abuse he gives OK, apart from pouring a cup of tea all over it. Sony on-line support has been OK too, when he's messed up with P2P viruses.

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

vsprogrammer,

I recall that Toshiba USED to be a highly-respected brand, but recent reviews I've read have not been very good. I would take your recent experience as an indication that they're not the best.

Sony also used to be tops, but have stagnated recently. Overpriced too. Budget is always a determinant, what's yours?

I have had excellent luck with Lenovo, 2 bottom-dollar but high-spec machines, with Core 2 Duo and lots of RAM and HDD space. Loaded with bloatware, but took care of that. HP is always a respected brand.

Also, I would avoid the Turion dual-core, the machines I've worked on have been little heaters. Extra heat may be welcomed where you live, but in Texas it is not!

Is the OS important to you? Some vendors, like Lenovo, allow you to "dowgrade" Vista to XP for the cost of shipping the recovery disks. Others will allow you to configure XP initially.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks for all the replies! Will bring it back and do some more research before I purchase another! Wishing everyone a great day! VSprogrammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back