Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

monier turns purple?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have had this CTX 19" moniter for about 7 months now. All of sudden the colors on the screen all turns purple!? What is up with that? i figured i thought it was cause of the waves of the tv screen next to it...or loud speakers...but if i turn all of it off...the purple is still there. Once in a while the purple comes off but then randomly comes on again. Is my moniter broken? whats wrong with it?

Suspect that the monitor is broken. Try it on another machine before you take it for repair. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

usagent876....I've got the same problem.....

I have a 15" Packard Bell monitor that I've been luggin around for about 7 years and JUST NOW getting the purple
screen.

It started about three months ago.
The screen is fine for about two hours and then...Puff!!! the purple shows up.
(I'll give it a SLIGHT tap on the side and it goes away)

I figure for me it's time for a new monitor.

BUT if your monitor is only seven months old.....I'd be checking into the warranty. :-0

Shawn X-)

ok i found out that the moniter connecter...the one to my video card is the problem. If it is loose in anyway it will make it purple. Or if i wiggle the connecter it will make it purple. Are these connecters easy to replace?

Check for loose or bent pins on the video card and also check or just replace the monitor cable.

John "Remember you are unique, just like everyone else"

Generally because you've plugged and unplugged a lot. Contacts are rated for 250 insertions.
If it is the connector on the card, yes they can be replaced but they are a bear. there are at least 6 different designs and getting the right one would be a problem. Cheaper to get a new video card.
If it is the cable, you would be better advised to get a replacement cable from CTX, or the cable from a junked CTX at a monitor repair center. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Usually I would say that it is the monitor, which it most likely is. However, your occurence is not uncommon amongst the population of end-users who posess ATI video cards. When there is an absence of drivers or the drivers are corrupted with an ATI card, it is not uncommon for the screen to turn purple. If you have an ATI video card, reload the drivers, if not, check the warranty on the monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back