Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Components; System Turns on but No Post 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi everyone. I just purchased the following components and cannot get a post. Tried different RAM and don't know what to try other then getting new components. I mainly picked these items because Newegg suggested them and that they were compatible. I tried one ram stick, then the other, then another that I had at the house. Nothing. I tried moving the HDD, PWR, RESET connectors around, nothing. I know the colored connector is + and the whites are -

The system turns on, I get the power LED and holding the power down, it shuts down. I get no video.

Only possibly bad parts are the mobo and/or the CPU. I've built about 30 machines without problems from newegg but am wondering what I might try to get any sort of screen or beep.

Here are the components I purchased.

- ASUS P5KPL-CM LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E6300
- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

Thanks Sam!

Yes, could well be one or more of the voltage rails in the PSU sagging under load, or not stabilized enough. In this scenario, most PSU checkers won't help you because they DON'T put the PSU under load conditions - they'll just indicate that the relevant rail has an approximately correct voltage, or nothing at all.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

ahhh so even if I checked it with my checker, it may have passed in that situation. wonderful... Just ordered another raidmax case only, I like some of the cases... and Cooler Master power supply. This machine is going to be used for documents and web browsing for my parents. nothing special... On and the full suite of Snood games :)

Now that you've resolved it as power supply one issue clicked. How about checking to see if the voltage select switch is set on 220.

It was a long time ago and 1 of 4 gateways was giving issues. These had been in use for a couple of years before I purchased them for an after school program. A year later the problem showed up. All 4 had 220 selected but only the one was failing.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Can you imagine?? I will check it over the weekend and let you know. I have to admit I would never look at that switch... I sort of hope it is the problem, that way I might have another spare good PS for emergencies! Have a nice weekened everyone.

The Cooler Master power supplies are great - I have used a few over the years with no issues whatsoever.

I'll second the vote on Cooler Master power supplies. I don't think you can really go wrong with Cooler Master. My current "main" system at home is running with a Cooler Master PSU, and I've picked up a couple of their fans. I have read their cases are nice, but I don't think I currently have a case of theirs.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

I'm sorry I got in on this one late....

but my advice to system builders. Buy a rockin' power supply you can use it from system to system.

Yeah, I took some bad advice back when I was very early into building systems, and based on that advice bought a few cheap PSUs for system builds... or either the PSUs came with the cases - cheap ones. Well, after all that experience, I can only say that the PSU is definitely a good place to put some money out of all the components... if it goes bad, it can take anything else with it. [purpleface]

--

Hopefully a one off but....I built my brother a system about 12 weeks ago, based on a Coolermaster case and PSU (460watt Extreme Power Plus)thinking along the same lines of: good case and PSU for reliability as the system was for his business and design work.
He phoned me up yesterday saying that the PC had gone BANG! He brought the tower straight around to mine and sure enough, the Coolermaster power supply had failed big time! (sparks and bangs! when I connected it to my mains)
And
As if that wasn't bad enough, when he checked all the other electricals in his office, his Canon scanner, HP printer, AOC TFT monitor, BT DECT telephones 3 set, Samsung fax machine AND Nokia charger had all been fried in the process.....really, it doesn't get much worse.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Yeah, I'd say that pretty much sounds like a freak accident. And really, I'd suspect something more than just that PC's PSU since more items were affected. It's possible a surge came through from elsewhere that affected all at the same time, lightening or not. Of course, a surge FROM the PSU could do the same, I suppose, if it wasn't behind a series mode surge protector.

I'd be advising to MAKE SURE all is well in his electrical wiring as well, as that sounds like a big issue.

Besides that, I'd also suggest looking into series mode surge protectors. Here are a few brands: Brick Wall, ZeroSurge, Surgex.

--

no way a PSU did that to all the equipment...I would say a surge...make sure you document times and file with the insurance company and electric company...if they were doing electrical work at that time they can be liable

Oh yeah! I forgot to add...his ADSL modem was also toasted!
I have to admit...all my years working on PC's and I have never seen such a catastrophic failure and one that has effected so many other things not directly connected to the PC.
I have advised him to have his wiring checked in his office although he does have it PAT tested every year anyway. He has also gone out and brought a Belking surge protection trailing socket.
He accepts that there could be more to this than meets the eye.
My brother is a qualified electrician so understands and doesn't necessarily blame the PC.
The insurance company are already involved.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

paparazi, I'd SERIOUSLY suggest your brother look into series mode surge protection. To me, that says a lot "He has also gone out and bought a Belkin surge protection trailing socket." That sounds like he wasn't using surge protection at all, which is really a no-no with sensitive electronics. And if he can afford a PAT test every year, then I'm sure he can afford a good surge protector or two.

I picked up a couple of these a couple years ago:

One for my "main" computer system at home, and one for the sound system at church. Of course, I got a really good deal, so I didn't pay @ $300 each for them. I paid about $100 each.

But for a one-stop retail place to buy those at at least a little bit of a discount at any given time, I did find this site:

They have the cheapest prices on those accross the web.

With the 2 purchases I made, I did actually see some difference. It cleaned up the audio a little bit in both locations - both the audio system at church, and my PC speakers at home. I don't use my mini sound board at home often enough to know just how much a difference it made there. Just don't have the time.

But I didn't buy the one for home for sound quality. I bought it b/c I've read MANY testimonies in forum boards around the web (mainly audio-video forums) where someone said something like "I had one brick wall surge protector, and then had others in other locations... had a lightening strike at the house, and everything was toast except for what was behind the brick wall surge protector." Not just one person said this, I read similar stories from at least 2 or 3 in forum postings. I read others as well, but 2 or 3 pretty much just like the quote above.

--

I once lost a Surge Protector FAX and other gear at a branch office - turned out that a motor/controller in the Escalator system had malfunctioned, fried electronics all over the building. Your landlord's insurance, or the electrical contractor's (work in progress at the time of the Zap?) may cover your equipment repair/replacement.
BTW - the PC, monitor and modem that connected through the Surge Protector were fine - the surge protector died doing its job! I've used surge protection on my home entertainment gear also, ever since!

Fred Wagner

Martin said:
As if that wasn't bad enough, when he checked all the other electricals in his office, his Canon scanner, HP printer, AOC TFT monitor, BT DECT telephones 3 set, Samsung fax machine AND Nokia charger had all been fried in the process.....really, it doesn't get much worse
That is extreme. I suffered similarly years ago, but not that severe. The cause was lightning which hit the telephone wires outside the house. It fried the modem, answerphone, the serial port, mo-bo, vid card and tripped out the power and lights on that floor. The phones survived IIRC. However, I doubt a surge protector would have been 100% effective against it.

(I wish I'd taken a photo of the modem internals - it was mostly black solid treacle.)

Liverpool: Capital of Culture 2008
Anfield: Capital of Football since 1892
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back