Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moist(er)(turer) 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrystaLv

Technical User
May 12, 2006
US
Any ideas on how to say that some 'food' have more moisture in it...moister? My daughter brough it from 6th grade and we had fun trying to figure it out.

Well, if the food that has some moisture in it is called 'moist', than the food that has more of it is called 'moister'.

...and food that has too much moisture in called mush LOLOLOL

per ardua ad astra

There is also the adverb 'moistly', but it's rarely used. It's moistly avoided.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Now what if we added more foods to compare?

1. being described as moist

2. being desribed as moister

3. being described as moistest

4. being somewhere between two and three.

What would we call 4? Now suppose we add 5. which cointains no moisture, would that change 1 to moister or could it remain moist? Would the moistest cake in the world simply be moist if you had nothing to compare it against?

Speaking of foods with no moisture has anyone ever tried astronaut ice cream (Bleech).

Cajun, could you please use moistly in a sentence for me? How does a word that sounds so descriptive get overlooked?

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

Would the moistest cake in the world simply be moist if you had nothing to compare it against?

Yes, I think it definitely would.

All I know is dry brownnies (brownies I make) cannot compare to moist brownies (brownies my girlfriend's mother makes)!

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

Ask her mother to teach you how to do it - chances are, your girlfriend will join you. You want her to learn how to do it, right?

As far as moist, moister, and moistest is concerned, the standard rules of comparative and superlative apply. Moister can only be used with two objects, with one being moister than the other. Moistest requires at least three, and the moistest is the one with the highest moisture content.

As far as using moistly, as an adverb, in a sentence, you could say something like the following:

The banners hung moistly from the stage weighed down by the early morning dew.

--------------
Good Luck
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Stella I don't think it would be good for my health to be given such powerful secrets! Believe me I have learned about putting bread in with cookies to keep them moist and havent seen my feet since!

----------

Steve Budzynski

"So, pass another round around for the kids. Who have nothing left to lose and for those souls old and sold out by the soles of my shoes"

MrWilson said:
4. being somewhere between two and three.

What would we call 4?

Penultimoist?

John

Life is short.
Build something.

Steve,
I understand.

I openly admit that my mother-in-law bakes great moist cakes - so I gladly come over for holidays. I also have several good recipes from my mother in my drawer, but I don't rush to do the same - not for health reasons, though. I just lack time and inspiration needed for baking, except for a few rare occasions.

Stella, I also been told that it just tastes better when someone else makes it, does anyone find this to be true?

Or maybe my girlfriend is just being lazy and wants me to cook :)

----------

Steve Budzynski

Not attempting to throw down the gauntlet here Cajun as your linguistic abilities are undoubtedly superior to mine (which are nonexistent by the way, but i'm hoping to change that with the help of this Forum).

Cajun said:
Moistest requires at least three
Would it be incorect to use the word moistest as follows?

The brownie on the right is the moistest of the two. Or should the word moister be used?

What if you used brownies?

The Brownies on the right are the moistest. Or would it work because being plural there could be more than two?

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

sbudzynski, that's definately true with my daughters. My wife can cook the exact same thing that grandma makes, but they do a whole lot better eating that food at grandmas than at home :).

---------------------
He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit. Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive. - King Solomon

==> The brownie on the right is the moistest of the two. Or should the word moister be used?

I think moister should be used. The superlative (-est) should never be used with only two objects; it should only be used with three or more. The comparative (-er) should be used when comparing two objects.

--------------
Good Luck

==> The Brownies on the right are the moistest. Or would it work because being plural there could be more than two?

In this case, 'brownies' is being used as a collective noun, and for the purposes of the comparison, the collection is treated as a single object. So again, the brownies on the right are moister than the brownies on the left.

--------------
Good Luck

Why puns are like brownies:

Well done puns'll make you smile

Half baked puns'll make you groan

Raw puns'll have you pulling hair and climbing the walls

DonBott
Chairman
Omnipitence, Ltd.

Reading so many wonderful responses makes my one eye moister then another.

That should be "one eye moister than the other" - sorry. People frequenting this forum will do this to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back