Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MODEM INSTALLATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisegi

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
CA
HI...

I'm trying to install a modem, in my windows 98 system? I know that the modem works because when i rec'd the computer it was working but since then I wiped out the hd and reinstalled Windows 98. Now when I do the add hardware wizard it doesn't detect it and when I add it manually and I AM USING the correct driver... Although it says in device manager that it is installed correctly I cannot get it work? Any iDEAS?

ANY HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

THX

Rey

If the modem is sharing an IRQ with another device in Dev. Mgr., then try switching either the modem's or the other device's IRQ.
Many times a modem will try to share the same IRQ as a COM(Serial) port. This can be easily resolved by either disabling the COM port in BIOS(assuming that it's not being used), or by inserting the modem in a different slot(not the one next to the AGP slot).

If that's ok and you're sure you have the correct driver, then start in Safe mode, uninstall all modem software from Add/Remove Hardware, remove all modems from Dev. Mgr., restart, let Windows recognize the modem, and reinstall the drivers(If your computer is from a major supplier, like Dell, Gateway, etc., then you may have to either use the driver from the driver CD supplied with the system, or d/l one from their website.).

If no luck, then try it in another system, or try a different modem.

Wisegi;

I've found that when you try to re-install a modem, the old install gets just a little sticky but not quite enough to make it usable. So, we have to get rid of what is there.

Right click MyComputer, click Properties and the DeviceManager tab. Expand the Modem object, right click on your modem and then click Remove.

Now, shut down the system, unplug from the wall, open the case and move your modem to a different PCI slot. Without doing this, there will be some confusion and the modem will not work. That I know of, modems are the only device that suffer this kind of problem.

Now, boot up the system and do a normal modem install.

I believe that the modem will still be on a com port and there can be some IRQ conflict that will be exhibited when you test the installation. The conflict that I've seen has been between video and modem.

Good Luck
Chris C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back