Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modem dropping connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolluf

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
GB
Not sure if this is hardware or software or both issue.

Client has a Time machine running XP Home. Tells me his connection is being dropped after 3 minutes. Also an issue with Outlook Express

He has no service packs, patches or anti-spyware installed and is running out of date AVG 6.

Modem appears to be functioning correctly.

So, I run scans with Adaware, spybot & MS anti-spyware & updated AVG 7. Cleans a moderate amount of spyware. Install SP2 & all patches and try the connection (on my phone line). Runs fine for 20 minutes. Then I test AVG update (previously updated connected to my broadband) - it couldn't find update, advised opening the webpage. When I did, Star Office opened (default browser - I wasn't aware until then) and the line dropped. Made IE default, tried again - all appears ok.

Return machine to client - run for 10 minutes connected to internet - all ok.

Half an hour later - he's on the phone - connection is dropping again. Apparently on one website - Some more info too - he was prompted to upgrade something by his ISP Supanet, and its since then there have been problems!

Does this ring any bells with anybody? His machine is 2-3 years old - I know that current Time machines have an 'optimised' modem which will only dial-up their preferred ISP! (its touted as a security measure against dial-up hijacking, but sounds like restrictive practice to me!) - so I was wondering if his supanet 'upgrade' has applied some changes which are causing the line drop. Going back tomorrow to check it out in situ (probably armed with some extra commands for the modem to try to help diagnose) - but if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

I dont think it has anything to do with spyware/viruses. Outlook express has an option in the send/receive process to drop the connection after send/receive is completed. i'd almost say that this option is checked and needs to be unchecked. See if that works.

-jared

It could be Outlook if its set to open up on startup and connect but there is nothing mentioned about outlook running. Does this happen consistantly right on a certain time period or randomly. If its random and the connection isnt ADSL, I would start thinking about call waiting on the phone line. When a person is calling in when they are connected, the beep puls can corrupt the connection and triger the modem to loose the connection and hang up. Or if there are phones on the same line that have stored numbers on them and dont have there own power supply, it could be them that are causing the connection fault. Something to ponder and yep, have seen this here in Australia more times than I care to count with dial up connections.
If the modem is connected to the same line as the phones, try disconnecting them and turn off call waiting if that option is enabled through the persons telco provider. Let me know how ya go.
Cheers
Brett

sorry I've not given feedback on this - been on holiday.

Problem was a faulty cable - client neglected to tell me that he'd moved the machine from one room to another and new location needed a longer cable... which though new was causing the problem (which wasn't really dropping after 3 minutes - was generally almost immediately - though it still appeared connected after it stopped allowing any traffic).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back