Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

modeling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

t5pete

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
US
Im having a lot of trouble modeling with the spline/patch method, I wonder if there's an easier way.
Thanks
tfive

Can you give us more of an idea of what your trying to do? I Em Not A God
I Em An Animator
Az
azmaramza@shaw.ca
ICQ 59238403
MSN azmaramza@hotmail.com

I'm trying to model a hand with splines from start to finish, and then apply patches for the skin. I was following along with a tutorial. I'm going to give it another whirl, I think I'm just expecting things to be too easy. I guess what I was wondering was if this is the best method for this type of modeling or should I look for a plug in.
Thanks again
t5
Im' definately not a god...

Personally, I believe that polygon modeling of a hand is the easiest method. It can give the basic hand shape fairly quickly. If you need a tutorial on this there is a good one at 3dcafe.com.

If you are looking to utilize patch modeling (I am assuming that you are using Surface tools, and not nurbs patches), that might be a more difficult. Remember that a patch can only have 3 or 4 sides. Max won't apply a patch otherwise, and will leave holes in your mesh once you apply the Surface modifier.

Hope this helps
Jer
azhdeem@hotmail.com

Can you give a link to the Tutorial you are using?

yeah Azh is right box modeling would be the quickest and easyest way of doing that... but its a question of how much detail you would like to have

lol i'm also a bit confuzed... with the different lingo people use... which exactly are you trying to use... Splines w/ a skin modifer... Nurbs... Patches... ect? I Em Not A God
I Em An Animator
Az
azmaramza@shaw.ca
ICQ 59238403
MSN azmaramza@hotmail.com

Here is the link to the tutorial on creating a hand using polygon modeling. This is from 3dcafe. This is a decent tutorial for those just starting out with Max modelling. Let me know if you need a better one.

AZ, you are right though. With all the different lingo that people use, it is a wonder we can still talk to one another. :)

Personally, I use Maya as my preference in modeling / animation software (switching from Max a few years ago), so I wind up using Maya terms alot. This makes it hard sometimes remembering where stuff is in Max and how to explain it when I do remember. If I ever leave anyone confused, just call me on it and I will try to be clearer and more accurate.

Let me know if this helps at all.

Jer
azhdeem@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back