Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MiVB 3300 upgrade via Scheduler 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
Has anyone attempted an upgrade via the scheduler form?

If so, how did it go?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

All the time, every time for the past 3 years. Have completed clusters with 10+ systems in this way staggered over a couple of hours unattended.
As an estimate we would have done this probably 200+ times, and have only ever had one system fail miserably that had one of the defective "Renice" SSD disks installed so would have died at a general reboot anyway.
Others have failed for different resaons (alarms, post upgrade checks etc) but always roll back to the previous release and identify in the log what the failure reason was to look at afterward.

We have a public facing FTP we use for this purpose for all our maintained customers.
The painful part is you need to have the software in a directory structure based on the release you are upgrading from.
Eg. Currently on 7.1.2.24, it will look in MCD-3300/7/1/2/24 for the FTP software.

Our server is a linux platform, so I wrote a script that creates a structure of sym-links that all reference back to the same SW-ROOT folder.
We can then upload any current version to the SW-ROOT folder and know that any system we point to the FTP will get that version.

It works awesome.

Hey,

We do all of our Mitel upgrades with the scheduler, It is so much easier than using the software updated tool.

A few things to keep in mind, the Mitel 3300 requires the path of the new software to be sitting below folders of the current release.

Example:
The Mitel is on v13.2.1.2 and you wish to upgrade to 14.0.0.9

The scheduler will require the files to be located on the ftp root in the bellow file structure:
/13/2/1/2/ (v14.0.0.9 files will be below this)
You can get creative with some symbolic links on your FTP host to get around this and point them all back to a folder.

You then setup your 3 upgrade tasks within the scheduler:
1) Software download - Give this task a couple of hours to download the FTP files
2) Software Upgrade - The upgrade will happen to the second partition
3) Software Activation - This essentially is like the swap command, the system will reboot and boot off the v14.0.0.9 partition.

Just make sure each of these tasks are spaced far enough so they do not collide.

Hope that helps, You won't want to go back to the previous upgrade method.

Interestingly, I was looking at a release 8 system yesterday and the upgrade option wasn't available via the scheduler.

Can anyone confirm this?

I just logged into a 14.0.0.95 (8.0 PR2) system, when making a new task under "Activity Parameters" in the drop down there are the software Download/Upgrade and Activation.

[thumbsup2]

My bad, I was looking at a Virtual MCD

The physical MCD definitely still has it.

@Hawker - What's up with your stats man? Member since 2001 and all zeros? That can't be right.

@Jemson - You're stats look low too considering the quality of your answer.

Thanks for your answers, I didn't actually expect any traction on this one as I've never seen it mentioned or asked about. Nice to know that it works.

@Hawker - I got the admins to correct your stats, now it shows your first login as Jan 2017 instead of 2001.

Welcome aboard.

kwbMitel said:
@Jemson - You're stats look low too considering the quality of your answer.

I am like Batman. I am there when Gotham needs me. Haha.
I lurk, read what is interesting and add my two cents as needed. [3eyes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back