Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel System Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtxcore

Systems Engineer
Apr 12, 2024
US
Hello,
I am taking on a new client who wants a complete upgrade of their Mitel systems.
I have worked in a hybrid environment and worked on some Mitel systems in hotels
But this is too big for me. I am looking for someone who has lots of experience with Mitel
to provide support, if anyone is interested please let me know.

would probably help if we know where the systems were located and what they were ( type & current software levels)

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Actually,
They want to install a whole new system and have them work side by side until they decomm the old one.
Here is a summary of the scope of work
Install configure Phybridge switches,
Install Phybridge Rj-45 to Rj11 Adapter for phones,
Install Mitel licenses Annual Maintenance Contract,
Install & Configure the ATAs,
Configure the Automatic Call Distribution system
Build users in the system database
configure phone system buttons
redesign a 6-digit extension list

The reason why I need help is because this is a much bigger network than I have dealt with before
and this is over 3K phones. I want to have someone to support me when my team Install everything
The client's IT team will provide a new VM for the Mitel server and licenses

I too can probably help but you still haven't answered the question about system type and software level

Location is less important but also useful, your profile suggests OH, US

Here are some more details about the system

Mitel 6920w IP phone
MiVoice Border Gateway Virtual
MiCClient license – Federation adv server
UCCv4.0 STND User for MiVoice Bus

•SWA Prem 1-year MiV BG System
•SWA Prem 1-year MiCollab System
•SWA Prem 1-year MiCollab UM Mailbox
•SWA Prem 1-year UCC Bsc-Ent MiVB
•SWA Prem 1-year UCC Entry MiVB
•SWA Prem 1-year UCC Std MiVB
•SWA Adv 1-year MiV BG SIP Connect

You've provided just about every detail except the ones asked for. What controller type and software level?

This is the core Telephony Infrastructure that was provided to me.
*MiVoice Business to Virtual
*MiVoice Business SIP Trunks

The client's IT will provide the Virtual server to deploy the Mitel servers
and a windows server license for the Mitel Integration.
I have don't have any other information and I am starting to feel like this is too big for me.
The client requires me to provide 6 techs onsite to install +5K phones
and I am concerned with not being able to handle this by myself without proper support
at this point I am having second thought whether or not I should take it.

trust your gut - without knowledge of the components you will struggle

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Ok here is some feedback regarding my ability to help based on your info so far:

First off, I will only consider helping if help can be done programming remotely. On site is handles by local techs.

Install configure Phybridge switches,
Unless something has changed, there is no config on a Phybridge (As far as I remember). I geuss I might need to see the version to be sure and if support (manuals) is avail I have no concerns
Install Phybridge Rj-45 to Rj11 Adapter for phones,
Not sure hat you are referring to here. Set Side or Equipment side? Maybe you mean the dongle? if so, thats super easy but onsite work
Install Mitel licenses Annual Maintenance Contract,
This can only be done by an Authorized Mitel Dealer or by someone with Authorized access to the Mitel AMC where the Licenses are delivered. I can do it but I would need access
Install & Configure the ATAs,
Program yes, install no.
Configure the Automatic Call Distribution system
I am an expert in ACD however, I noticed you mentioned licensing for a MiCC Federation Server. This is a reporting/configuration package that increases the difficulty by a factor of 10. I think I would bow out before taking on a project that includes MiCC
Build users in the system database
I can do this in my sleep
configure phone system buttons
Snore
redesign a 6-digit extension list
No Problem

Mitel 6920w IP phone
No Problem
MiVoice Border Gateway Virtual
No Problem for the most part but it comes down to whoever programs the Firewall and/or what config it is in (Server and Gateway)
MiCClient license – Federation adv server
PROBLEM, I've been out of the game too long for this depending on what features are enabled
UCCv4.0 STND User for MiVoice Bus
No Problem if access to AMC is provided. All SWA included in this statement

The client's IT will provide the Virtual server to deploy the Mitel servers
Virtual Servers, not 1 but at least 3 according to the licensing
and a windows server license for the Mitel Integration.
Assuming this is for the MiCC, My confidence on MiCC is 80% depending on what features you are trying to deploy. Ignite would probably be a pass for me as I've only seen it once 3 years ago
The client requires me to provide 6 techs onsite to install +5K phones
My support would be remote
+5K Phones? That's probably not recommended on the MiCD and might even exceed limits unless something changed in the last 2 years. That's quite an undertaking

and I am concerned with not being able to handle this by myself without proper support
at this point I am having second thought whether or not I should take it.
I have don't have any other information and I am starting to feel like this is too big for me.
Can't speak to this but I can help where I can

Yes it's a hospital they want to replace =5K analog phones

5K analog? Thus the ATA's?

Run away, maintenance nightmare

5k analog on ATAs OMG !!!! end up with a full-time engineer managing all the faults on that...

If its not broke tweak it..

That's what they want. The existing phones are analog
I recommended replacing the cabling as well to accommodate but the engineers who
wrote the proposal want it that way.
and they want me to handle everything from start to end.
So This looks like walking into a trap to me.

Who does the on-site support? That many stations is enough for a full time tech just doing MAC work and troubleshooting. I manage a system half that size and it keeps me busy.

They have an internal IT team, although I am not sure who does the day to day on-site support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back