Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 3300 Teleworker Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlancaster

Technical User
Jun 6, 2007
GB
Has anyone currently got this solution?

I'm after a bit of knowledge as we are looking into adding this to our 3300 LX range.

At the moment I'm not exactly sure what the teleworker server does? Apart from enabling you to work from home but this can be achieved using a SIP softphone (x-lite) and a VPN connection.

I have read that the teleworker takes out the need for a VPN connection but can't get my head around how this works? Can someone explain how this works? If this is true we would be able to use deskphones (5224) at home which we currently can't do as a deskphone can't setup a VPN connection to our network (3300). This would be a ideal for us but has me wondering how anyone would get a SIP deskphone offsite to connect to a mitel 3300 onsite?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for any info and help.

Cheers.

Andy

My company recently started selling mitel products in early september 07. Teleworker is a server that usually sits on your DMZ with a public IP. The teleworker server has access to the MITEL ICP. SO when I take my phone home from the office, I plug the phone in and hold down the 7 key. Then I enter the teleworker IP on the phone and restart. A couple minutes later, the same phone that I just had on my internal network is at home with all of the same features that I had in the office. Once you get teleworker configured properly, you cannot beat the ease of use for the users.

Thank you for your reply.

I can see how a public IP address on the teleworker server would remove the need for a VPN connection but you could just assign the 3300 a public IP address. However this would have many security issues (hacking, etc), so how is assigning the teleworker a public IP any different?

Could anyone answer any of my other questions. Thank you!

The big thing on teleworker is that this adds:
1. Teleworker supports a large adaptive jitter buffer both in the Mitel IP endpoint and in the Teleworker gateway to accommodate poor quality IP connections. The jitter buffer can handle RTT of up to 800ms while minimising added delays for low latency connections.

2. Teleworker supports Mitel patented packet loss and out-of-order delivery concealment mechanisms which provide additional guarantees of perceived voice quality with imperfect links.-

3. Teleworker supports IP QoS with traffic shaping and limiting for non-realtime traffic to provide the best possible VoIP grade of service. VoIP packets are tagged with both Ethernet and IP CoS,

So with these enhancements this is different to just putting the 3300 to the public internet.
Especially the latency up to 800-900msec is something compelling that to other solutions. Ofcourse if you have a QoS WAN/LAN connection you don't need teleworker.

We have been using the Teleworker solution for a couple of years now. The 6000 MAS (Managed Application Server) that the Teleworker solution is installed on is a Linix based server that acts as a gateway with a built in firewall and VPN capabilities. You assign it a public IP for tunneling through the internet to the teleworker set and an inside IP that belongs to the Mitel subnet.

Teleworker sets are programmed on the ICP just like any other set. The difference is that the set is also added to the Teleworker server to allow access to the inside network.

A browser interface is used to program the IP address of the ICP as well as to manage sets and monitor the system. The MAC address of the set is what identifies the Teleworker set to the gateway. The sets are then programmed with the Teleworker gateway IP (which is the outside IP of the Teleworker server, this allows the set to connect to Teleworker server and then negotiate a connection to the 3300 based upon the MAC Address and DN programmed into the ICP.

Hope this helps...

We had initially tried using a VPN from our main to sattelite office and had bad quality issues. Like mentioned abve, the teleworker handles jitter very well and for ease of use it can't be beaten.
I believe to get the softphone working you'd need to get some SIP licences from Mitel to enable the functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back