Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 3300 MXE Sata drive hot swappable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocjeeper

Technical User
Aug 1, 2013
US
Current drive 2 state is "broken" getting the failed flashing led sequence indication on drive. In the Mitel doc to replace 1 failed drive it states it's "hot swappable" plug and play. But it also says if the replacement Mitel Hard Drive received has a different software on it than you are currently are running you must "power down the 3300 to clear the socket" I'm running 5.0 and the new drive came with 6.0. So here is my question: how is it considered hot swappable if you have to power down the controller to clear the socket in order to install the replacement with the different software?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought after install the new HD and press the mirror button until it flashes quickly that the new HD is "Mirrored" by the other one, which includes software version as well. Wait to hear from someone else on this too, please.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

The sata drives do not require a button push and instead start mirroring upon insertion.

@ocjeeper. It can't hurt to insert the drive and see what happens. You can view the mirror status with the maintenance command: File Stat Red

Hot Swappable simply means that the drive can be inserted and removed under power without damage. Hot swappable does not mean that reconstruction and functionality of the drive will automatically be done.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Thanks, KWB...........I was thinking of the older drives that you had to press the mirror button to start the raid.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

As you all stated the copy process will start automattly, since this is Sata. I will go ahead and install the replacement drive with the newer software and see if a copy will start and complete from the current good drive running 5.0 to the replacement drive running 6.0. I'm hoping the socket will recognize the new drive and copy replacing the currect "broken" drive serial umber with the new one as opposed to what the Doc states about powering down to clear the socket to read the replacement drive?

Don't clear the sockets, as far as I know it will need the good drives S/N so that it copies to the replacement HDD.
If you clear the socket it will consider them both new drives and who knows which one will mirror the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back