Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitel 3300 MXe III-L LAN Ports Dead

Sep 26, 2024
Hi All,

I've consulted these threads several times for assistance with our Mitel 3300s, but I'm encountering an issue beyond me.

We have a Mitel 3300 MXe III-L. at a store we support. Around this time last year, we encountered issues with the controller's LAN ports being completely unresponsive. We worked with our vendor to replace the controller. We were told that our Cisco switch caused this issue. The vendor provided their own unmanaged PoE switch, and we settled to have this controller and the phone on a separate LAN.

We are encountering the issue once again. The LAN ports on the controller become completely unresponsive. Both lights on both ports are solid right on boot, and my laptop does not recognize that I'm connecting the controller to its port. Therefore, I'm unable to communicate with it in any way.

A few weeks ago, the vendor asked me to leave the controller wholly powered off and the LAN ports on the controller free. Then after a few days, power it back on and reconnect it. To my surprise, this resolved the issue for about a day. In that time I grabbed the maintenance logs. The only things that jumped out at me while reviewing were the following lines:

smPortError() - event PT_STRT_PORT, state STOPPED, nextState STOPPED, prevState STOPPED

StartPort() - doSPStateMachine failed

SetBufVoicePlayback() - Request inappropriate for DSP port type

GetTdmAddress() - RX stream not supported for this DSP port. TaskName=Csc

Unexpected ResultprocessRequest - Failed to allocate connection type CSC_CONNECTION_HMP while processing (iMiFsmEvent(id PROCESS_REQUEST)(type CscEventRequest)(request (CscRequest(Type CSC_PLAY_TONE_RX)(ToneDescriptor(ToneType TONE_TYPE_SINGLE_ID)(ToneId 95)(InjectToneType NOT_INJECTED)(DurationToneType INFINITE)(InjectMask false)(IsOffHook false))(RX (Port(PortId 237)(CompId DSP_SP)(PortType PORT_TYPE_DSP)((TdmIn: 255, 0, 0)(TdmIn2: 4, 5, 0)(TdmOut: 255, 0, 0)(TdmOut2: 4, 5, 0)))(Stream 0)))))

I'm not sure if that is relevant to the issue at all. I'll do my best to provide any additional information, and I'd appreciate any direction. Thank you.

IMG_1063.jpg

On the original MXe controllers, the L2 switch ports would go out of service. The only remediation option was had was to replace the hardware once the issue was introduced. The workaround they provided at that time was to issue the command "period 900,mips_reset" without quotations into vxworks. This would restart the L2 switch ports every 900 seconds. The end users never experienced any loss of communication after this command was introduced.

I've never seen this issue since the MXe controller was replaced with the MXeII and the MXeIII but maybe its something similar. Or maybe a similarly scheduled L2 restart would mask the issue. You'd likely need to check with your Mitel vendor to ask what the comparable command would be on Linux if you're running 9.0 or higher software on your MiVB controller.

One thing to be aware of, when the issue occurred on the MXe controller, this workaround worked up until you rebooted the controller. Once you rebooted, you need to reissue the command again in vxworks.

I would contact your mitel vendor and ask them to update the software on your phone system and your telephones. I'd ask for the latest firmwares and the latest softwares available. That's the only solution that I know

Are you doing any scans? This could cause this issue

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back