Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitec 5114VU Mobo Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmsbrum

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
YU
Has anyone setup one of these boards in the past? The manual sucks!!!! It doesn't even tell you how to connect the case speaker, much less how to set the jumpers for anything less than a AMD K6-2 400! It has integrated video and audio in an ATX format. I don't get any display, and of course no beeps--because I can't get the speaker hooked up!!!!!

Thanks!

I just want,when I hit the power button, for the thing to come on. I can change the jumpers if need be but I have to know what to set them to.

belgarrath,
set your clock multiplier frequency
(cpu/host on board)
to 1.5/3.5
jp4 off
jp5 off
jp6 off

set your core voltage(vcc) to 2.2
jp7 off
jp8 on
jp9 off
jp10off
jp11 no jumper

bus speed to 66.8 for non pc 100 sram modules
jp12 on
jp13 off
jp14 off
jp15 no jumper
unless using pc 100/133 sram then set to
jp12 on
jp13 on
jp14 on
jp15 no jumper
You can get the voltage and clock specs for AMD processors
by going to
this is the voltage specs page.

This is the frequency specs page.

Still nothing. Everything powers up and I can hear it access the HD for about 2 seconds (with HD LED lit also coinciding) then nothing. I never see a thing on screen.Should I reset CMOS? Change hard drives? The HD that's in there is a pull from an active machine (nothing was done to it to clear all the old stuff off).I do have a clean HD with no OS on it. Switch RAM slot? I'm still stumped.

ok, don't even bother trying to install the audio driver form the cd rom if you have windows 98, it's totally useless it will ask for windows 98 cd then tell you the files being copied are older than what you have, then it will say error69 cannot install ess allegro PCI sound driver.
Go to Mitac's site
and download the audio driver
allegro1022.zip
unzip it to a folder and use the setup.exe file
when it says the file being copied is older just click use current file.
I think i'm beginning to like troubleshooting quirky MBs
......NOT!!:p

Think I should give it up and try selling back on E-bay? Or am I just one step away from success and I just don't know it yet?

Hi there I have one of these crap boards too cannot find voltage for 6x86 333mhz cpu is 2.9 volts what jumpers for this and then I will see if it fires up or just buy amd550cpu thanks if you can help.

belgarrath,
check your jumpers again, had the same problem with my
k6-2 550 mhz no video until I set the cpu jumpers correctly.
look at the charts printed on the board
and set the specs for k6 -2 350 for:
cpu/host (clock frequency)
1.5/3.5
bus at 66.8 or 100 if using pc 100/133 modules

and the core voltage (vcc)
at 2.2
should work

is that a cyrix 6x86?
the AMD k6-2 333 and k6-2 333/66 vcc is 2.2

the k6-2 333
needs the cpu/host set at:

66.8 or 95 depending on sram speed installed
pc 100/133 sram can be set at 95
for non pc 100/133 set it at 66.8

The k6-2 333/66 can only be set at 66.8

Checked all the jumpers. OK there. Tried the RAM in another slot. Nothing still. If the RAM was bad, would the system have these symptoms?

YES! Success! Partially. Fooled around with jumpers 7-10 until I ended up back where I started with off,on,off,off (2.2v). Hit power button...and it CAME ON! During Memory it said something about latency should be set at 2 (something like that) so I set clock cycle at 2. Hit power button...memory check started over about 3 times before it finished then I got a floppy disk fail. So I shut down again and checked cables and restarted. Screen started going off and on randomly for a while but I still have a floppy drive fail but the screen flashing has stopped while typing this. Will update and any ideas will be helpful.

belgarrath,
set bios "quick self test" to "enable" to stop the repeating memory count on boot.
as for the floppy drive make sure cable is set so pin 1 on both board and floppy, match stripe on cable.

dabowen46
try this site for x86 specs
bear in mind this board's bios may not recognize cyrix cpu's

Mystery of the pc speaker solved!!!
The pc speaker IS built into the sound card on this board!!!
if the external speakers are plugged into the sound output while the board boots up you will hear the POST beep!
Never seen anything like it before. Good thing this case came without a built in speaker it doesn't need one.

To enduser2k thanks for the cyrix site I had a look at the settings yes this board will be not good for cyrix so now going to install amd550 cpu with pc 100 ram as I found out with socket 7 mother boards 9 out of 10 dont run pc133ram
it is best to run the ram to the bus speed more stable running that way thanks guys .

memory revisited.....
for some reason this board don't like both of the 128 mb
knigston modules I got for it (picky picky)it will load bank 0 fine but if I put the other in bank 1
I get GPF city!!!!(general protection fault)
switching modules doesn't help either,
now pc 133 ram should be backward compatable to pc 100 so if this board does 100 mhz it should still run both modules ok but then NOTHING about this board is normal...:p

about the chart....

Just look for your CPU. O is no jumper, -- means it should be jumpered. Pay close attention to the jumper numbers on the motherboard, they are in reverse order (maybe I should reverse the chart)...

Thanks guys for solving the great speaker mystery. I did get the beeps when I had my desktop speakers plugged in, but I thought that was weird!

BIOS Flash worked! I have ATA33 HD's so it doesn't matter at the moment, but it isn't telling me i don't have an 80 pin cable anymore...

UPDATE! Everything is up and running and all is going well so far. Currently doing a clean install of Win 98. The screen is still flashing off and on but I'm pretty sure it's the monitor. I hope I have no problems with the driver's install. I don't know what the deal was with those jumpers last night. Something had to have been loose I guess. Thanks go to wmsbrum and enduser2k for sticking with me. Thanks Guys!

HEY! WHAT THE HECK! I just noticed that bios is only reading my AMD 350 chip as 233Mhz! What gives?

Check your external clock jumpers (JP12-JP15), sounds like you've got it set at 66.8 MHz, should be at 100 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back