Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitec 5114VU Mobo Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmsbrum

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
YU
Has anyone setup one of these boards in the past? The manual sucks!!!! It doesn't even tell you how to connect the case speaker, much less how to set the jumpers for anything less than a AMD K6-2 400! It has integrated video and audio in an ATX format. I don't get any display, and of course no beeps--because I can't get the speaker hooked up!!!!!

Thanks!

Working system! but it will not do 128 mb pc133 in both banks, just bank 0. (So much for Kingston saying that the pc 133 is backward compatable)
The dealer I bought it from said he never tested it with more than bank 0 populated and will retest (possible bios issue). Let me know if anyone has had success with both ) and 1 populated.

On another note, the dealer did say that all sound goes through the onboard card output, including that usually from the pc speaker, beeps and so on (so what the heck does the "sp" next to the case connectors mean?.)
Also, anyone else have problems installing the drivers for the ess audio from the cd? I had to go to the web site to download a copy. 0.
About to reflash the bios to get rid of the 80 pin nag.
and the video is still having fun on its own :)

P.S. that ) was supposed to be a 0
"Let me know if anyone has had success with both ) and 1 populated."

Should read
"Let me know if anyone has had success with both 0 and 1 populated."

Time to stop using my copy of "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" as a coaster. :p

I had no problem installing the ess driver, although my system is still stripped down w/no speakers. Having hard drive problems.Here's the deal; I can boot the system to Win 98SE and work on it all day long(actively),but if I boot up und just let it sit for a while,everything just freezes hard. No ctrl+alt+del,nothing.? Any ideas?

Belgarrath,
Is it harddrive problems??
Te guy i just bought my board from just repeated my problem
with the pc 133 modules
Heres is the email he just sent:

(Thanks for the info. I had time to test the 2 128mbs PC133 last
night. Ran fine for about 20 minutes but then had problems
refreshing the desktop(part of the window would remain on the
screen after closing it). My guess is this is why I haven't run into
this issue with other customers because most everyone is using
PC100 or using 1 bank of pc133. I sold my last 2 256mb PC133
modules last week but have reorder 2 256mb PC133 modules for the
shop and they should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. So I
wont beable to test them on the board until then.

This last batch of boards look to have had some bad driver cds.
These cd's are burned by the distributor and I have started throwing
them out and burning my own driver cds to accompany the orders.
A few customers have had installtion problems with the Win95 sound
drivers and the Win98SE drivers. This seems to be a issue with
the drivers and not the sound. A customer emailed my last night
that he had found some Win95 drivers at DrDrivers.com that solved
his problem. I have downloaded the drivers for Win95/98 and the
drivers for Win98SE/ME/2000 last night. The Win98SE/ME/2000 drivers
setup failed to complete(I believe that these drivers are missing
some files). The test machine has Win98SE on it so hopefully this
weekend I can find time to install either Win95 or Win98 to test the
other drivers. I'm not sure if the Mitac Drivers are the same as
are on the cd. I'll need to download them and see if they're the
same version. If so, I'll see if I can find some more reliable drivers
for Win98SE as WinME and Win2000 customers don't seem to have any
problems, thanks.)
(end of e-mail)

The fun with this board is just starting guys!

BTW after installing the new bios,
the system not only recognizes the 80 pin hd cable it also runs the hard drive at ATA66! With no further problems.

As for the memory issue...
Can someone please run a 256 mb pc100 module in their bank 0(zero), and let me know if it runs ok?

I plan to send back my two 128 133's if running a single 256 pc100 module works.

I put the HD in a ENTIRELY DIFFERENT system and it froze hard during defrag. Unless it's a coincidence, that pretty much isolates it.

BTW, that was after using FDISK to delete the (only)partition and reformatting the disk with a clean install of 98 SE afterwards.

Sounds like the beginning of a physical hard drive crash.
did you use any disk diagnostics eg. norton, western digital
data lifeguard or seagate seatools? I named them all cause you didn't state the model or manufacturer of drive you have.

I started a new thread on this, but I did the Western Digital test and the code said I need to replace. But that was before I fdisk'ed. Everything was fine until I interrupted a process during Partition Magic. After that I was getting strange readings involving size(used and unused space). Anyway, I used Fdisk and then did a clean install and all disk space indicators are reading correct. It's just this freezing thing. I can't get defrag or norton speed disk to finish but scandisk and norton's version both finish.

72 hour system burn-in is complete!
this is a very stable board with the right memory combination. It runs best with the bios upgrade and via drivers installed soundcard install files should be downloaded from the website rather than from the install cd
this board is designed for the AMD k6 and k6-2 processors but can run some P2's. Running fine with the 126 pc 133 module in slot 0 but recommend pc 100 for both banks to run.
will post a website with the proper pinouts for ALL K6 processors.

Here is a tip on the boot problem... it worked for me. (But with this board you never f'in know) Here goes.

- First if you have a boot disk for the OS that you are going to use put that in the hard drive and boot the computer.

- hold Delete untill the blue menu pops up.

- When it does set the first boot device to floppy; the second to HDD0(zero) And the third to CDROM.

- Exit and save these new settings into the BIOS.

- (If you have the updated BIOS I recomend that you place the files on the floppy as well ... you may need to update it

- When the PC reboots it should start recognize the boot media

- The reason it is giving you such a hard time is a problem in the old BIOS that FORCES you to re-partition your hard drive and re-install your OS (Stupid Error)

- If you computer starts from the floppy, start fdisk.exe from the floppy (or ramdrive if WIN98SE or WINME)and delete all partitions from the HDD. Place new partitions on the hard drive, re-boot, and format C:

- Install your OS

- WARNING unless you get RELIABLE audio and video drivers from me or one of these other soon to be 5114vu experts, you will have a heck of a time installing Windows

- I am running 98 and ME with LINUX and (almost) everything seems to work fine.

- once you install your Operating system (using a boot disk
to get started) the computer (should... but like I said you never know) start just fine.

Also I have the updated BIOS and had the same problem with the HDD that you all did ... I will try it tonight.

Here are my jumper settings.
This board is rinning better as we go.
Memory Clock Settings
I am using 2 128Mb DIMM's with the following jumpers closed
12,13,14 - This is for 100Mhz Memory Clock Speed

I have an AMD K6-2 500 Mhz CPU
Here are my settings
cpu/host 5.0
jumpers 5 and 6 closed

Almost all AMD CPU's
that I have tested (K6-2 series) Can run the following voltage settings for optimum performance. (NOTE: Use these settings at your oun risk. Risk of overheating or damage to the CPU may result as well as damage to the motherboard)
AMD CPU's with 2.2/3.3 voltage rating
2.4volts - Jumper 9 closed, 7,8,10,11 open

So far with these settings (4 months) I have had no crashes and my CPU runs very cool with a simple heatsink.
When I had my power set to 2.2 or 2.3 my computer would not boot. NO MATTER WHAT MY OTHER SETTINGS WERE.

If the people at MiTak would act a bit more compitent, they would have a verry nice board here.

ALSO- Thank you to those that post all the helpful info. -Mostly all of it!

Piece!

-----------------------------------------------------
No 80 Conductor Cable - HELP!
-----------------------------------------------------

I just tried flashing the new BIOS that supposedly fixes this problem and had no luck! I see that others have tried this with success. Why me? :-(

The BIOS correctly identifies itself as 11/07/2001, but still reports "No 80 Conductor Cable Connected" at startup. I am using the ATA/66 cable supplied with the motherboard on the primary IDE channel with the blue end to the board and black end to the drive. My drive is a WD102AA which supports ATA/66 and I have checked to make sure it is enabled using the WD utility. The BIOS switch for PIO and UDMA on the primary master IDE is set to Auto.

What am I missing?

Problem w/ Power Management Wake-Up.

I'm also having a problem waking up my system in windows. In the simplest case, I set Power Mangement Properties to "Turn off monitor". No system standby or hard disk power down. The monitor goes off, but I can't get it to wake up with mouse or keyboard input. The keyboard is still functional as I can fumble about to access the menu to shut the thing down. I have the BIOS setup properly (I think) to use ACPI and look at interrupts from the COM port as wake-up events.

So, what am I doing wrong? Is the problem at the BIOS level? How do interrupts get routed to a wake-up? Is it a hardware level issue or a windows level issue? Could it be a driver problem? Is there any utilities I can use to find out what is going on? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am back to square one with this board. Got it all ready to sell, shelved it, and then when they finally come to pick it up and take it home ...it wouldn't boot. So now I have it again. There are two things that make me suspicious about what the problem is. First, when I was first setting up the board, I was moving jumpers around and eventually ended back with the settings I started with and suddenly it worked (with nothing REALLY changed). Second, as I was delivering the system to the client,it fell over. Something must be loose,only I don't know what it could be? Any suggestions?

Hi I have one problem with this board, the gameport-joystick port in not working ... please help me

I'm getting the "No 80 conductor cable installed" too! I tried to flash the bios but it won't take. My bios date is still 09/04/2000. ANY help would be appreciated.

nevermind. got the fix from geeks. but now my vid is screwy. i can't go higher than 640x480.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back