Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitec 5114VU Mobo Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmsbrum

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
YU
Has anyone setup one of these boards in the past? The manual sucks!!!! It doesn't even tell you how to connect the case speaker, much less how to set the jumpers for anything less than a AMD K6-2 400! It has integrated video and audio in an ATX format. I don't get any display, and of course no beeps--because I can't get the speaker hooked up!!!!!

Thanks!

One mistake that I noticed is that you are all spelling MiTac wrong. IT is spelled M I T A C and they can be found at This will take you to a strange site.
Click Service in the hedder bar. Next click Download.
Under "Enter Product Name" type 5114 and you will see the selection 5114VU - Select that.
A new page will load that looks just like the last.
Under "Define by Catagorie" just click "GO".
It will give you a list of every driver you will need including a BIOS flash and Utility.

Robb,

First, those documents weren't there two weeks ago. They STILL don't make up for a crappy manual that excludes CPU settings for 1/2 of the dual voltage CPU's. Also, try downloading and reading one of 'em (just for giggles).

Drivers can't help you if you can't even set up your case and cpu!

Sorry about the misspelling, but they still don't have much info or support. My original inquiry of 10/26/01 about IDE controller issues is still unanswered as of two seconds ago (2013 EST; 01/07/02).

They are trying, but not hard enough...

This board is the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen!
It is telling me I don't have an 80 pin data cable connected to my ata 66 hard drive (I do) so it will only set at 33 and the way the power switch is set up is very hit or miss. My first clue should have been the manual which is unintelligible. THE WORST PART... I bid on and won 3 of these things on EBAY!!! ARRRGHHHHH!!!%-(

I love it! This board is featured on the Computer Geeks website as linked to earlier in the thread, with this description:

Product Requirements
------------------------------------------------------------
The Rest Of the System (ATX Case, CPU, Memory, etc.)
CD-ROM Drive to Install Drivers
***Basic PC Know-How***

Requirement 3 sounds good! (but it's a good price!!)

I will be dismantling my PC tonight to conquer the mystery of the speaker connector and the hdd led! If anybody knows the answers already, stop me now!

enduser,

The highest ATA rating for this mobo I've seen is ATA33. It doesn't recognize 80-pin cables or so they say.

You may try the HDD light jumper backwards.
You may also try orienting your jumpers differently like the power jumper above. They could be mostly just + to ground connections, so they might work to their neighbor's ground, hence improper pinouts being somewhat functional. If you can see the wiring on the board itself, you should be able to trace the ground and see which pins it runs to. That should also give you some idea of the polarity of the LED pins. Another thing to consider is that sometimes there will be an odd pin spacing, for example, on my Biostar (piece of crap, so I gave it to my brother :)) the power pins were spaced like this [+ . . -] instead of like this [+ -], so it required a special adapter (provided with the mobo) so connect to the case.

send me an e-mail wmsbrum@yahoo.com

I got just about all the Cpu's listed

wmsbrum, I have a hand written diagram of the pin connectors that was sent with the board. It's like this:

19<->20 Reset
17 18 Blank
15<->16 Power Button
13 14-|
|-11 12-|
Power LED-|-09 10-|-Speaker
|-07 08-|
05<->06 HDD LED
03<->04 Key Lock
01<->02 Blank

I can't get my system to boot yet so I can't confirm all of these positions but the HDD LED,the Power SW,the Power LED, and the Reset SW works. I don't know about Key Lock and I don't hear a beep from the speaker.

Boy,THAT looks stupid. Sorry. Smileys disengaged. Power LED connects pins 7,9 and 11. Speaker connects 8,10,12 and 14.

Belgarrath,

So you don't have pin#9 missing? My power light is working from 11 and 13.

I'm going to try the BIOS flash for 80 pin cable connection tonight. I didn't pull the Mobo last night because my wife needed to use it.......hopefully tonight.

Yes, #9 is missing. Also,I'm no tech so would you please help me translate the chart you sent me? The voltage on the CPU says 2.2v core, 3.3v i/o. Again,I have a K6-2 350.

I'm guessing pin 13 is ground as well as pin 7. I'm also guessing ping 11 is positive power LED, so either connection should function, although putting it in the wron direction may block the way for you to connect another nearby jumper.

No, I don't, but I have dealt with several undocumented boards in the past. My guesses about how the pins are wired are based on the descriptions that you and wmsbrum have given as to what each of you seem to have gotten to work. I am sure that if I had access to this particular model to do testing on, I would be able to be more of a help, but as it is, any guesses I can make can only be based on the observations of others. If either of you could provide a picture of the wiring on the circuit board surrounding the pins (front & back if possible), I may be able to make more informed suggestions...

I can't even get win 98 to load!!!
lots of GPF's when it oges to set up hardware stage.
When I hit the power button to restart, the monitor won't come up. Have to unplug computer and replug in to get to work again. Will try the bios update to fix the 80 pin issue

What kind of chip do you have? I have a K6-2 350 and I need the jumper settings. Please someone help. I'm at a standstill. I've looked everywhere and the chart that was given me I don't know what to do with it?

Here is a link to the manual online:

Taking this into account also I would guess at the following layout:
(g=ground, +=positive signal)

g19 +20 Reset BTN
?17 ?18
g15 +16 Power BTN
g13 ?14
+11 ?12 Power LED
x09 ?10
g07 ?08
g05 +06 HDD LED
g03 +04 Sleep LED
?01 ?02

A jumper between a positive signal pin and any ground pin should always perform the function of the signal pin, so if you wanted, you should, for example, be able to short from 20 (or maybe 19?) to 07 and cause a reset or 16 (or maybe 15?) to 07 and cause a power-on.
If you have a multimeter, you could measure the resistance between pin 07 and each other pin while the power is off. If the resistance is 0 Ohms then the other pin is ground, otherwise, it is either totally disconnected or has some undocumented function. Once we know which pins are ground, we can easily see which may still be the signal for the speaker.
The speaker may be run directly into the onboard sound card, so there may not be any connector at all.

ok ignore my last two postings please
Afte i let off some steam i realized that
GPF's are memory issues I pulled the 128 mb module in slot 1
and the board started right up, bad module, Now for the next issue win 98 won't let me install the drives for the ess allegro sound anyone got a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back