Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mitec 5114VU Mobo Setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmsbrum

Technical User
Aug 22, 2001
YU
Has anyone setup one of these boards in the past? The manual sucks!!!! It doesn't even tell you how to connect the case speaker, much less how to set the jumpers for anything less than a AMD K6-2 400! It has integrated video and audio in an ATX format. I don't get any display, and of course no beeps--because I can't get the speaker hooked up!!!!!

Thanks!

Got it (mostly) figured out. Speaker connector still escapes me.

Well got it mostly figured out now. Still having a problem with IDE controller issues. #-)

Got it all figured out! I needed to format the HD and re-install Windows 98 for the VIA 4 n 1 Drivers to load. Needed to backup all my files and pull 'em back from her tape drive.

I guess I'm a better tech than I thought! A+ here I come!!!

Same motherboard--same problems and complaints. What did you do to get the system to boot? After no success with the first board, I returned it for a second board. Still can't get it to recognize the floppy, or video (onboard or PCI card). What's the next step? Oh, yes, what's the pinout for the speaker, etc.
Thanks

What are the pin settings for a P233 for this board?
The manual has settings for AMD only.
Can you help me?
Thanks

Hey guys, sorry I hadn't been checking out the forums.

Mbowen-to get this puppy to boot, you have to get the EXACT correct pinsettings for your CPU. Which type do you have? (I still am working on the speaker connector)

Davcin:I'll get it and get back to you tommorrow. I have a Cyrix 6x86L-200, so that's a little different.

I have a K6-2 450 2.2V processor
I set the jumpers as printed on the board, AND according to the manual (it has different settings).
What are the "recommended" settings for ALL the jumpers on the board?

So far, I would recommend this board only to people who have nothing but days to waste--I don't!

Hey guys,

Still working on it. I can't find my li'l notebook I use for these type of things, so I'll yank it out of the case tonight. I understand the frustration, especially with the non-existent support and lack of info (I thought PC Chips was bad).

Make sure the CMOS jumper is set to "normal" (JP3, pins 1 and 2 connected) because mine was missing....

The on board sound connector...
Green - Line out/Speaker
Blue - Microphone (BTW--the mic sux-it is way too low to be of any real use--suggest getting a real sound card.)
Pink - Line in

this should work for the P233 MMX: (O open; -- closed)
jp4 O
JP5 O
JP6 O
JP7 O
JP8 O
JP9 O
JP10 --
JP11 O
JP12 --
JP13 O
JP14 O
JP15 O

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
You have been very helpful!!!
If I might ask... where did you find the jumper settings for the P233?
Thanks again for your help!!!

Just experience(and having a list of all processor voltages,multipliers, etc). Believe me...it wasn't with MITAC's help!

You can set up this mobo with almost any socket 7, but I wouldn't try it with anything below a 66MHz bus speed (older Pentiums usually less than P150)-it might overclock, it might not. I have seen it claimed by folks selling them that it will support them, but I dunno. I might do a website for this, because I see these boards on the net for sale a lot! I am putting togher a sheet for grins though so I'll have a reference. E-mail me at wmsbrum@yahoo.com if ya want a copy.

Mbowen- I don't see a difference: I took my info off the mobo, and it seems to correspond. What is printed on the top of the CPU? My Reference says 2.2V, 4.0 clock ratio, 100 MHz. If yours is different, set it to what's printed on top.

This is what I got for the Jumper setup:
(O open; -- closed)
JP4 --
JP5 O
JP6 --
JP7 O
JP8 --
JP9 O
JP10 O
JP11 O
JP12 --
JP13 --
JP14 --
JP15 O

Let me know what it says...

My system is up and running!!!
I purchased a AMD K6-2 500MHz for $40.00. Once you get the jumpers correct this board is great.
Its very important (as wmsbrum has already stated) that the CMOS jumper be correct or nothing happens.
Also I would suggest that you use a AMD processor, and use the suggested MHz recommended by the manufacturer.
The drivers for sound and video are easy to install from the CD.
Thanks so much wsbrum for your help!!
davcin

I to have an interest in this MOBO. I have successfully set up the board w/128MB strip of pc133 and AMD K6-2 500 w/ WIN 98se. However I cannot get case speaker wired up nor case Power LED. It appears that the LED pins do not work (J-2 pins 11-13). Any suggestions for work-around. Is it advisable to install VIA 4-in-1 drivers?

Thanks
johnnr

Sorry, guys!

I'm out of town, and this stupid public library does not allow you to check your e-mail!

I'll be back in on Friday with a response and any other help.

Regards,
wmsbrum

i have the same board with the sam problem except pin 15 seems to be missing....do you hav all the pins??,,,

The J2 block isn't laid out like you would think it is! The little arrow at the bottom right is actually pointing to pin #2instead of pin#1. This is the layout:

19-20 Reset
17 18
15-16 Power Button
13 14
| Power LED
11 12
?? 10
07 08
05-06 HDD LED
03-04 Sleep LED
01 02
^
(^ represents the arrow, zeros are included to make it line up nicely B-) )

I still have not figured out the spk connector, and my HDD LED isn't working, so bear with me. This diagram should help (BTW i think that's Pin #9 that is missing, I am still remote due to Family issues)

Oh, Another thing:

Make sure to reinstall your operating system using a freshly reformatted HDD! This will allow Windows Plug n'Pray in the OS to pick the correct drivers for the IDE/Floppy devices! You can THEN install the updated VIA 4n1 drivers.

If you try it using an HD from another system, Windoze will not recognize your CD/HDD's, none of the IDE drivers will work, and if you try loading ANY version of the 4n1's you will get a message saying &quot;Registry Error, Please reboot&quot; (the drivers won't load properly until you reformat the HD and reinstall the OS >:-< )

I hope this helps! As soon as I get back, I will e-mail my little tip sheet. (I hate I didn't bring any type of PC!)

Happy Computing,
wmsbrum

Just got this board on ebay,
let the fun begin...
installing a k6 2-550 cpu
and 2 128mb pc133 sdram modules
Will let ya'll know how it goes.
Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor