Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Missing Sales in Aloha 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

justadoode

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2007
US
Hi POS Gurus -

Aloha 6.1.23 on Windows XP. Yes, I'm aware it's an old version on an unsupported platform but it's what we have.
Here are the details:
In the middle of the day all power was cut to the restaurant. The POS went down after consuming the back up battery supply. When power was restored later that evening the master terminal had the date of the year set to 2001. We also tried to pull up sales and they were $0 at the front terminals. I corrected the date/time on the master. All of the systems seem to be back functioning as expected except for the fact that the sales for that day are missing.

I looked for dated subfolders on all of the terminals - none found.
I looked for dated subfolders with the 2001 date - none found.
I looked for old trans.log in the data folder, none found.
On the AlohaBOH server, there is a dated sub folder with the correct date (04022017)but the trans.log file is only 2kb; essentially empty.
I searched for mirror.log files in the dated subfolders and the data folder on the BOH server, but only the current data folder has one and it's current.
In the temp folder on the BOH server I did find an MIR0023.log file with an 0402 date stamp. Not sure if that's the trans.log file I'm looking for? It's 217KB.

I've tried grinding the dated subdirectory on the BOH server, but knew full well that wouldn't resolve it. So basically I'm trying to figure out where the sales could possibly have gone? I can't find any folders and am not familiar enough beyond what I've provided to know where else to look. Can anyone please help?

Thank you very much, Charles aka justadoode.

Did you look on the Front of house terms and see if a newly dated folder was created. If so, it preformed and EOD on the FOH. Bring that folder to boh and rename to correct date if needed and see what sales are inside

AlohaRoss
An Aloha POS 3rd Party support Solution company.
PM me on Reddit

Bring the MIR0023.log over to the dated sub. Run the following commands from the dated sub to attempt a repair:
..\bin\grindq.exe /fixlog MIR0023.log
ren fixed.log trans.log

Back up both your data and temp folders before attempting anything. You'll want to roll back to the previous state if you need to.
Sometimes the Mirror will be split into separate parts. Rumor has it there's a way to merge it but I've always just had NCR run their trans repair.

Clay - copy trans1.log+trans2.log trans.log will do it. You only need NCR if there's log corruption that a fix log will not repair.

@Series_of_Tubes for real? That's great news. I had a guy tell me the log had a checksum so the fix log wouldn't do it. I'll have to give it a shot.

Brilliant!! This worked exactly as @ClayTaco described. I'm glad I mentioned the files I had. This MIR0023.LOG file was located in a temp folder, so now I know that's where they are purged to in some occasions.

ONE SMALL MENTION: the executable was not grindq.exe but simply grind.exe in the command line. Other than that, picture perfect.

Thanks again!!

Clay - I have never merged multiple mirror logs but have done it when someone puts multiple terminals in redundancy.

@justadoode FYI whenever you see a 'q' it just means the application referenced is for Quick Service. You can just ignore the q whenever they pop up and it'll get you the table service application.

If you're merging logs at the command line like that, you need to include the binary switch in the command:

copy /b trans1.log+trans2.log merged.log

I do that, then

..\grind.exe /fixlog merged.log

then

ren fixed.log trans.log

and that should do it most of the time, unless your source logs are really borked.

J

If you have a corrupt log and need it repaired. I can repair it with my utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back