Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS vs BCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

th7700

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
My company is considering a Nortel MICS system for each of our two locations, with digital trunks and 3 tie line channels between the systems. The locations are in two different cities.

However, another sales person recently told me about the Business Communication System and said that we could eliminate the tie line and use VoIP and good Internet connections to connect the systems.

Now, I'm a little skeptical about VoIP, having heard from several people, one a good friend in the telecom business, that it's just not ready for prime time. It may be ok for in-house LAN-connected phones, but I'm concerned about dropping packets on an Internet connection, even a T-1.

Does anyone have any experience with the BCS, specifically the VoIP capabilities and signal quality? Is the BCS as reliable and robust as the MICS? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I guess I actually meant Business Communications Manager or BCM. Oops...
%-)

The BCM can VPN to 1 another however what I would do in this case is run a Frame Relay between the 2. Voip can run through the frame to establish a system to system connection. this applications works find. For more details I would contact Nortel. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back