Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS PRI -> BRI -> PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismccatgmail

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2004
US
Hello...

I have a MICS 6.1 with a T1/PRI, a combo card and a LS/DS (*)

From some posts and docs I found on this forum (this is an excellent forum!) the BRI-U2/4 trunk card can be a network interface or a station side equipment interface. Does this mean I can output a BRI to connect to a PC with a plain ISDN card? wanted result: PC(server) w/ ISDN card -> BRI card on MICS -> out PRI to PSTN. and reverse PSTN -> PRI on norstar -> PC(server)

(*) the LS/DS is installed but AFAIK doesn't do anything. The wires (third 25 pair connector) are punched down but nothing is connected to them and I do not have any POTS lines incoming

p.s. I've had many questions about our MICS system, almost all were already answered in this forum. Thanks to all.

yes that is doable - 'match' the BRI interfaces s/t/u on the PC and the norstar

We have this very setup on our MICS (T1-PRI and BRI card connected to an ISDN modem), except the PC ISDN Modem is one that can also answer calls placed from analog modems, i.e. it is an X2/V.90 server.

That means we can dial in to the ISDN modem from an analog V.90 modem and connect at V.90 speeds, typically 43000 to 50000 bps, just like you would calling an ISP. We use it for inbound access to our LAN from jobsites, motels, etc.

The only downsides are that the really nice ISDN modems that can be an X2/V.90 server are pretty pricey, and not too many Norstar folks have done this. But if you need the inbound capability, it's the way to go. The best cards (PCI slot) have 4 BRI channels, which means if you connected one to a Norstar 4 port BRI card it would support 8 simultaneous V.90 inbound calls (2 64K B channels per BRI channel). BTW, the U interface is most common in the USA.

FWIW, the BRI cards never really caught in the US, so you can often find them used for not much money.

emk

I was going to order an Eicon Diva Server BRI

any other recomendations on cards?

and yes, it was easy to find a used one, as nobody had new ones :)

The best value I found was the Patton 2977/B4/U. Their web site is
It's listed under the RAS/Dial-Up Networking section, Enterprise Networking.

They don't show prices, but I remember it as being much less expensive than the Eicon products.

emk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back