Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS GATC going dead 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsaad

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I recently moved a MICS. On multiple occassions card 1 which is a Caller ID line card goes dead (shows unequipped in the system). Card is there. I swapped out the card, issue returned, then I rebooted the KSU and that clears it. Could this just be power outages / quick outages? There is no UPS but one in the works. Card 2 and Trunk Module seem to be ok. Never seen cards just 'disappear'.

Check Alarms to see if there was a reboot overnight.
Also check voltages on each line, Idle & Ring.
I had one site with 120v from Bell but that was a BCM50 and I forget what the issue/resolve was.

Maybe also try to disable the card and re-enable or tell it to be another card type and then back again...might be a bug.

Make sure no bent pins on the backplane.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I am getting it on a UPS then see what happens. This is a new location. We have 11 phone lines from the cable company coming from 5 different cable modems! Something screwy going on.

At the moment the issue persists. All cable modems and the Norstar are on a single 1000VA UPS. After we reboot the KSU, the card works and then goes dead (unequipped after a day or so). The cable modems in question are these UBEE units.

You have not answered these yet:
"Check Alarms to see if there was a reboot overnight.
Also check voltages on each line, Idle & Ring."
Make sure no bent pins on the backplane.
and--look closely as maybe one pin is pushed in too far.

It might be the backplane somewhere or the software.
Try a STARTUP and re-program to omit software, if not replace the KSU.

Another thing you could first try...
Reverse all the lines from the modem at the KSU.
See if problem stay's or follows.
Follow would then maybe be a modem issue, too much voltage or shorting out.

2 modems or 1 8 port?

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Nortel used to ship 220 Ohm 1W resistors with the GATC to protect the card from overly high ring trip voltage. If your line 1 is working for a few days then stops this is what I suspect is the problem. Try picking up some resistors at your local electronics supply store and use 2 of them - one in series with Tip and the other in series with Ring. It would not hurt to do this on all trunks.

Nortel also came out with a POTS Evaluation Kit that tested CO Battery, Loop Current, Ring Voltage, and Ring Trip. We used this to confirm the problem.

I thought the UPS would solve it. The system is not rebooting. I am going back in a couple of days. Thanks for the pointers. Will report back!

No bent pins. NO reboots. On the card in question I measure 85- 90v ringing on lines 1 + 2. 105 v ringing on lines 3&4. I rebooted ksu and card comes back to life. I had cable company move lines 3 & 4 to a different modem which had spare ports.

Customer attached UPS but did not plug in battery.

Time will tell.

Card went dead / unequipped less than 12 hours again. Will go back and default the system and reprogram, I guess.

plugging in a UPS without a battery is a protected power bar not a UPS therefore kinda useless. Try a real UPS that takes off the brownouts that may cause issues.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Yeah, good advice!

Defaulted KSU, ran startup and reprogrammed whole system. KSU is on a battery backup. Lines worked for about 12 hours, card is back to being unequipped and dead. Losing it over here!

I don't understand why you did this:
I had cable company move lines 3 & 4 to a different modem which had spare ports.

Why just lines 3&4?

I had mentioned this above:
Reverse all the lines from the modem at the KSU.
In other words lines move lines 1-4 from card 1 over to card 3 on the 12X0 and the 3 lines on card 3 over to card 1.

This will assist to see if there is an issue with the KSU mobo.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I found 105 v ringing on lines 3&4. That is why. I bought those resistors and haven't tried them yet.

I already have main number forwarded down to card 2 and 3. Traveling to the location can become a problem so I don't want them all down and have to rush back. Can't tolerate too many missed calls. We are managing but it's weird how the card fails 12+ hours later.

Aside from KSU swap it's looking like the resistors noted above by Nortel4Ever are the best bet.

"Losing it over here!"
I know that feeling.

I had a similar frustrating issue on a CICS years ago where the phone system would reboot randomly on an inbound call.
After countless troubleshooting it turned out that line cards ending in D, E and first version F were problematic in this particular case which was a an office trailer in a remote location.

Line issues have gone up the past couple years, mostly modem related be it with TV Cable or Fibre feeds.

A case with the reverse, not enough voltage, a fibre connection from Bell Canada going to their modem "4000" was not providing enough voltage, I think is was 35v.
After changing the card several times it was the older CLID cards that stuck out an inch that did the trick.

A year ago I replaced line cards to sort audio issues with cutting out and garble...I blamed Rogers cable company.
They came out and admitted that it was a cable issue and referred to another outside division to fix it, and they said others in the immediate area had the same issue.
A week ago the problem returned, Rogers replaced the modem and said it was fixed, I then was called because the client said it was not fixed so I came and replaced the line cards at their wish.
2 days ago it deteriorated really bad so I went to site right away, I said you can call Rogers or we replace the KSU (CICS), they agreed to KSU as we wouldn't charge for the part if it did not fix it.
Replaced KSU and same issues, so I called Rogers for them to put in a ticket.
The Rogers tech came same day, admitted that it was a cable issue and referred to another outside division to fix it, and they said others in the immediate area had the same issue.
Yes, cut and pasted, it was the exact same thing another tech said a year ago.

Bring a spare KSU with those resistors...and a sledge hammer.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I replaced more caller id cards, hardly ever replace a DS trunk card.

Customer is committed to the Norstar which I must respect.

Now I have to figure out how to neatly do this resistor setup. I don't want to make a mess of it.

Resistors added for that card only. Card has been stable for 2+ days now. So I am hopeful this is over.

I had the same issue. I changed the CID card out for one of the older CID cards that stick out a little bit and that solved the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back