Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICS Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPinsocal

Vendor
Dec 4, 2012
US
I recently had an MICS loose power and its database did not reload. Had to purchase a new security code to reinstall the PRI. I have since acquired NRU 11.0 and backed up the system.
Does my backup retain the security code so I can restore the database the next time they loose power? That is assuming the MICS will not retain the database. Thanks ahead of time!

Normally yes but the problem is your system ID changed due to the power issue therefore the backup would not work as the backup is based on the old system ID.

Did it just loose power and power restore later or was there surges /brownouts etc? just curious as rare that sysid changes on power issue but does happen.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

The customer came to me a month ago, said they had a power outage over the weekend. When I got there the System was up but the old database was gone. It didn't even show a PRI card in the system. I got the sys ID and got a new PRI code. Was then able to reprogram system and set up the PRI and get it working again. This is when I acquired the NRU and did a backup. Will I run into the same problem if they loose power again?

Most likely the 1 farad 5 volt capacitor in the NVRAM cartridge is shot. It maintains the database when there is power outage. If it's bad, yes it will happen again.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Thanks, so I have a backup on my laptop. I do a restore. Will that put everything back the way it was?
Is there any way to replace the capacitor? Or do I have to replace the NVRAM cart?
Thanks again!

Pardon, customer wants me to install a UPS. Power will go down, I will lose my database. Will the backup I have restore everything including the PRI? Sorry for the confusion.

Not if if the sysid changes per my first post/sentence otherwise a restore will work.

There is caps inside but you can also purchase NVRAM's ...make sure its Rls2 NVRAM

As for what memory is stored where is a new can of worms to debate but regardless there is caps in both KSU and NVRAM.

How much programming was lost and what was lost that you know of....was there anything still retained?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

do you know what the old SYS ID was or did you try the original PRI code
Do you know if the System ID did change or only the programming was lost
it might help determine which CAPACITOR is bad

Appologies, I don't believe the Sys ID ever changed. When power was originally restored, it looked like it came up as if it had been re initialized. I had to get a new key code to re install the PRI. I don't believe any programming was retained. All is good now until I power down to add the UPS. I believe my backup should restore the database when I do this. Thanks again for all replies.

In future your partner who has access to the KRS system at Avaya could have retrieved the existing keycode for a small fee.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I usually write the PRI code on the inside of the door so i don't loose it in case it gets lost in programming
I have had to re install one before

Thank you all!. I believe I have my answers. I was not the original installer and the customer did not have the PRI key. I have recorded the new PRI key. I will probably replace the NVRAM.
Thanks Again!

Yes, the backup will restore the PRI keycode as long as the system ID does not change.

Generally, most of the programming database is stored on the MICS main board. The NVRAM stores data on PRI routing. So if the cap in the NVRAM is dead the MICS should only lose the ability to send or receive calls over the PRI circuit. If the cap on the MICS main board is dead, the system will default all programming. There is also the possibility of the system cold starting and jumping the system ID, in which case the PRI keycode will have to be regenerated. A Norstar partner should be able to have the PRI keycode migrated to the new system ID if this occurs.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back